Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Richard Fl, your shrimp.....

Options
AZRP
AZRP Posts: 10,116
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looked so good that I had to stop and get some on the way home this afternoon. I brined two hours in Old Bay and kosher salt.

IMG_2060.jpg

Cooked them direct at 350 dome.

IMG_2063.jpg

Did a wasabi, soy, and mayo dip as well as a cocktail sauce. Thanks for the inspiration! -RP

IMG_2064.jpg

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Randy,, I thought when they still had the heads on they were bait? :huh: :whistle:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Nice snack. Bet you did not get them just off the boat? Did they dry out at that temp. How long at 350 8-10 minutes or so? I added couple tbs liquid smoke to the brine and it helped the smoke flavor.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    They were farm raised in Ecuador, got them fresh from the Chinese market. -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Well that looks good Randy. Dang, Pretty sure I need to get some now. :laugh:
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Thanks Good answer, now how long at 350?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Randy,

dumb question time - OK? Even though the head is left on they have been gutted right? Also I know how to de-vein normal shrimp but those glisten like the shell is still on so what about the "mud vein"?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Usually when the shrimp is peeled they have not been split and the vein removed. Some are sold p/d-- peeled and deveined. The ones I cooked with the shell and head had the vein on top. After I peel the vein sometimes appears 'cause some of the shrimp came off with the shell. If I see a dark vein, I pick it off. No biggee to me to eat with or without. When I am cleaning them before cooking I always take a sharp knife down the top and remove the vein.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Richard, I understand, but years ago I watched a nature show that revealed that a shrimp is the cockroach of the sea and and and you get my point! BTW I know a lobster is too, but let's don't go there since they don't have the mud vein glaring at you! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Richard buddy!

It's poop! Course if you eat loney shrimp crap isn't nothin'

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Randy, don't listen to them about the vein. Everybody you serve knows that if the head and shell is still on, the vein is still there. It's a choice of which way to serve and eat - with or without. Yours look good and I like the char ya got there. Nice sauce, too.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    How does the brining differ than marinating ? Taste ?

It looks interesting to do it that way.

Have a nice week end.

Gary
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Compliments of Wikipedia:

In cooking, brining is a process similar to marination in which meat is soaked in brine before cooking.[1]

Brining makes cooked meat moister by hydrating the cells of its muscle tissue before cooking, via the process of osmosis, and by allowing the cells to hold on to the water while they are cooked, via the process of denaturation.[1] The brine surrounding the cells has a higher concentration of salt than the fluid within the cells, but the cell fluid has a higher concentration of other solutes.[1] This leads salt ions to diffuse into the cell, whilst the solutes in the cells cannot diffuse through the cell membranes into the brine. The increased salinity of the cell fluid causes the cell to absorb water from the brine via osmosis.[1] The salt introduced into the cell also denatures its proteins.[1] The proteins coagulate, forming a matrix that traps water molecules and holds them during cooking. This prevents the meat from dehydrating.

In many foods the additional salt is also desirable as a preservative.

Kosher meats are salted during the process of koshering, so are not brined.

Some cheeses are periodically washed in brine during their ripening. Not only does the brine carry flavors into the cheese (it might be seasoned with spices or wine), but the salty environment may nurture the growth of the Brevibacterium linens bacteria, which can impart a very pronounced odor (Limburger) and interesting flavor. The same bacteria can also have some impact on cheeses that are simply ripened in humid conditions, like Camembert. Large populations of these "smear bacteria" show up as a sticky orange-red layer on some brine-washed cheeses.

Marination is the process of soaking foods in a seasoned, often acidic, liquid before cooking. The origins of the word allude to the use of brine (aqua marina) in the pickling process, which led to the technique of adding flavor by immersion in liquid. The liquid in question, the 'marinade' can be acidic with ingredients such as vinegar, lemon juice, or wine, or savory with soy sauce, brine or other prepared sauces. Along with these liquids, a marinade often contains oils, herbs, and spices to further flavor the food items.

It is commonly used to flavor foods and to tenderize tougher cuts of meat.[1] The process may last seconds or days. Different marinades are used in different cuisines. For example, in Indian cuisine the marinade is usually prepared with mixture of spices.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I understand the process of brining. I do it with chicken. I was interested in doing it with shrimp. I was wondering how it tasted by brining.

Thanks for all the information.

Gary
  • Richard Fl
    Options
    Next time I will cook them at 350 for 10-15 minutes. The long cook softened the shell and they were hard to peel. Still great flavor with brining, eventho they come from salt water. Used some liquid smoke in the brine and it added some nice flavor.