Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting a few things done today

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First thing this morning I did a good clean out and vacuuming of the egg so that I could cold smoke some chocolate. I've got about 5 kg of dark chocolate smoking now - using the proQ with some oak dust.

5320250407_20343a210f.jpg
DSCN2361 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Yesterday I put together a rather large fattie - using a roll of Jimmy Dean and about 1 1/2 lbs of ground pork. I had a tiny bit of Bourbon Bacon Jam left so it made it about half way across and then for the other side of the middle I put some honey mustard. Rubbed with Penzey's Adobo seasoning. Smoked until it was about 110 degrees then realized I'd better leave for work - finished off in the oven this am because I did a nice hot burn to clean out the egg before the cold smoking today.

5320852998_d58110e088.jpg
DSCN2349 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5320852920_153b5d1120.jpg
DSCN2351 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

While the chocolate is smoking I've pulled out the slicer and sliced up the bacon I smoked last week. I have a chain mail glove inside a Kevlar glove from Lee Valley - only have to cut the tip off one finger to teach me a lesson!

5320250593_5c0e8c5e9c.jpg
DSCN2356 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The icewine cured bacon ready to be cooked tomorrow in preparation for making a huge batch of bacon bark.

5320250677_0655b2fd88.jpg
DSCN2353 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

The maple cured bacon, ready to be packed up for the freezer.

5320852648_fb41a8b5b2.jpg
DSCN2359 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Took the opportunity to cut up the remaining brisket in nice thin slices - it's off to the freezer too - will make a great sandwich when I rediscover it!

5320852712_6d56eb7ac8.jpg
DSCN2358 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Comments

• kmellecker
    Options
    Busy man with some great looking eats. I have never heard of smoking chocolate...are there special applications it's used for?
  • chocdoc
    Options
    kmellecker wrote:
    Busy man with some great looking eats. I have never heard of smoking chocolate...are there special applications it's used for?

The chocolate is going to be used in chocolate 'shots' at the upcoming icewine festival. My BGE dealer has asked me to accompany him to the festival - I'll have icewine chocolates, chocolate shots and bacon bark. Showcases the egg as well as the icewine. I'll do some sort of little demo at the beginning which will encourage people to come over and check out the eggs. Should be good fun.

Woman by the way...
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    WOW! You've been busy.It all looks GREAT!
  • chocdoc
    Options
    Hoss wrote:
    WOW! You've been busy.It all looks GREAT!

Still have to go to work today!
  • kmellecker
    Options
    My apologies for the masculine reference. I feel even more ignorant...I have never heard of icewine either. Regardless, it sounds like you will have some good fun. Where is the festival going to be?
  • chocdoc
    Options
    It will be in Jordan which is a little village on the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario.
  • kmellecker
    Options
    A little far to drive but it sure sounds interesting. Have a great time.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    chocdoc, everything looks yummy! :) Hope you give us your verdict on the taste of the smoked chocolates.

That's a nice mesh smoker container.
  • chocdoc
    Options
    eenie meenie wrote:
    chocdoc, everything looks yummy! :) Hope you give us your verdict on the taste of the smoked chocolates.

That's a nice mesh smoker container.

Yup - got it from Solutions Storage store - not really made for smoking - but hey you find what you find!

I've done a test batch of the smoked chocolate - it was perfect for it's purpose. I added more dark chocolate, some milk chocolate, water a bit of cream and some ice wine - it made a really nice smooth chocolate shot.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Chocolate shots....num, num, num :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: