Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT: Favorite curry powders, need recommendation

Vincent ChaseVincent Chase Posts: 146
edited 6:17PM in Off Topic
I have used a few from Penzey's and I can't say I really care for them. The sweet curry powder smells absolutely amazing but the flavor is really weak and one dimensional, flavor wise. We used the same sweet curry in a curried cauliflower soup tonight and the taste is very one note and the smell is kind of perfumey. Are there any complimentary spices you use in conjunction with curry powders that give a rounder, bolder flavor? Does anyone swear by any other curry powders?

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,128
    This Jamacian curry hot will get your attention. http://www.hotsaucetogo.com/product.php?productid=186
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 20,678
    have you tried the penzey vindaloo, its a little bold :laugh: some markets have pastes, they seem more rounded to me, is there an asian, korean, thai type place around
  • Big PapaBig Papa Posts: 220
    Chief Curry Powder is the best.

My friends frim Tinidad send me some all the time.

You can get it on Amazon.com
  • CBBQCBBQ Posts: 610
    Go to www.savoryspiceshop.com and look at their curry blends. They have everything from green or red Thai curry to Moroccan and Cambodian Lemongrass curry. In a lot of cases they grind and ship.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,732
    Vincent Chase,

I usually toast and grind my own spices for Indian curries and make my own with Thai and Vietnamese. It really isn't a lot of work and you always end up with a deeper flavour than from a jar. I generally use a bottled or boxed garam masala.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON