Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need help Injecting my meat...

TheDirtyBurger
TheDirtyBurger Posts: 846
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had an injector for quite some time. I used to inject my butts when I had a ECB smoker, but with the egg I found that I really did not NEED to inject. Once in awhile I will inject my brisket but only if it is lean.

Now that I am doing Egret's Maple Bourbon Ham more I am questioning my injecting technique especially when it comes to about $3 worth of syrup I might be wasting each time.

Do you use the same hole? Do you inject in multiple spots? Is it ok for the liquid/syrup to run out of 1 hole as you inject in another? How close should the sites of injection be? Should I use the "needle" with a bunch of small holes or the regular one?

Any help would be awesome.

Here is my injector
31-w7y7WHAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I got it from amazon in case anyone else wants it (It's good, I just have fat hands)
http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-5011-Stainless-Steel-Seasoning/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1293981031&sr=8-1

Comments

• BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    well it isnt really rocket sience when injecting is concerned! :laugh: you can use the same injection hole if you move the injector around so you inject in different spots, yes some syrup will come out of the hole. I am doing another ham today and i used about 5 injection spots, it all depends on how much you want in there or how much you can get in there. :)
  • I am no expert, but I minimize the holes and strategically space them out. I will inject the needle at different angles in to one hole. I try to avoid having the liquid gush out as I add more.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy El Dirty.
    Lemme see if I can splain. Would be easier to show you, but....

The injection will travel down the channels of the grain, so I like to inject perpendicular to the grain. Using a brisket as an example, start about 4 inches from the tip. Find the spot where you can insert the needle at a low angle so it almost comes out the side of the brisket. While injecting, pull the needle out slowly. Move back the length of the needle, and insert again so the tip ends up back where you started the first squirt. Three or four insertions and you've now injected the first section all the way across. Move over 6 inches or so, and repeat.

For me, a regular packer usually has about 20 injection sites.

For pork, same thing but you gotta go deeper. For each injection site I'll go in at several angles.

If the injection runs out another hole, your just losing injection. Stop and try a different poke.

Hope it helps! Realized it is harder to splain than I thought.
    Happy new year.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I inject in multiple spots. Sure, some of the syrup will leak out of the holes but a lot will stay in and I use the runout to baste with so I inject in a large bowl to catch the runout.
    Have fun playing doctor. :lol:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Nothing but love by injecting ham with maple syrup.

Here is how I do it.
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=787131&catid=1

GG
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    I use the needle with a lot of holes on the side. Someone suggested using grade B maple syrup awhile back. I really liked it. Egret should move to Alabama. Then we could call it "Hammy From Alabammy". :laugh: :unsure: :evil: :woohoo: :huh: :S :pinch: Sorry.