Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt 911

Options
Calder
Calder Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Need help with my pork butt.... I put two 5lb butts on a 8AM at about 250 degrees. Should I be worried about these things being ready by 2pm? Any suggestions?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    i think i would bump the temps to 325 and foil
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • boston_stoker
    Options
    Yes, they take one to two hours per pound. Each butt is a little different. I would raise the temp up 25 degrees. Also make sure they don't touch and have good air flow between them. If they are too close, they will cook like one 10 lb'er ( double cooking time).

You should be able to easily pull bone out when done (195 to 205).

You really should read this if you are inexperienced at pulled pork: Elder
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    2 hrs/lb cook time at 250 dome indirect generally gets you in the ball park. I have found smaller butts like yours are probably a 12 hour cook at 250 do to the time it takes going through the plateau period. I would bump the dome temp to 300 and as long as your meat temp is 160 or above you can always slice instead of pulling which requires meat temps of 190+.
  • Calder
    Options
    Do you mean wrapping each but with a double layer of foil?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    yep, maybe raise temps to build a little bark, then wrap in foil, might even add a little juice or water or vinegar to get it braising. at 250 i see a 10/11 hour cook.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Calder
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. I remember being a little worried the last time I smoked 2 smaller butts in the egg. When I kept them separated, I was able to reach the 190+ temps in 5-6 hours, then I wrapped in foil and towel and placed in a cooler for about 45 minutes then served. I hope I can "pull" this off! Thanks again!