Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ain't Heat, Heat?

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a pizza stone for my Medium for Christmas so that I can do 2 pizza's at once. One on the Large and one on the Medium. However, person that gave to me didn't know to get BGE stone and got one from World Market. Over time there have been lots of posts about other stones lasting for years in the oven, but exploding when used on the Egg. I don't doubt these stories at all, buy wondering why the difference at presumably the same temps in an oven as opposed to on an Egg? Ummm...

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    The difference is in the temperature differences from one side of the stone to the other. An oven will heat a stone fairly evenly, but the Egg will heat it primarily on the bottom side, causing a large temperature difference with the top side. This can cause a thin stone to shatter (as I've demonstrated perfectly with two(!!) of my wife's Pampered Chef units). :whistle:
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I can only imagine it's due to people cooking in their oven at temps of only 375-450 or so. Some people cook higher on the EGG for pizza. Plus the heat directly below the stone may get higher perhaps.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    there is a really large fire needed to get an egg to 500 degrees or higher in an egg with an inderect setup, alot hotter in the base than you would think. if you take the platesetter out with a 500 degree dome temp, your at searing temps for a steak, maybe 700/800 degrees, your oven doesnt get hotter than maybe 500 degrees
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    type of ceramics and the direct heat, would be my guess.

doesn't matter what the dome temp is, your lump is always around 1000+ degrees. when the dome is at 650-750, the lump is probably closer to 1500+, AND there's a whole heckuva lot more.

if the stone is your barrier, it is taking a lot of radiant heat.

i think they (cheaper stones, like pampered chef) also break when indirect. not sure if that's a moisture issue, or expanding too quickly, or what. i know some of the stones have rims cast into them, and that they aren't very thick. might have something to do with unequal expansion, or expanding too quickly.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I also imagine the quality and thickness of the various stones plays a large part in stones cracking.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The BGE pizza stone is 2-3 times thicker than my Pampered Chef stone.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    I think I'll just try this thing and see how long it takes to get that "explosive" pizza!