Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Media Room Blackout Curtains

Options
Spring Chicken
Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Now that we have a nice 60" TV and are looking forward to watching it in relative comfort, I'm thinking we need blackout curtains across the 110" bank of windows in the room.

Because I like to push buttons I think I would prefer a motorized system with wireless remote control. There appears to be plenty to select from.

I also like the idea of a battery powered system vs hard-wired system. But there is very little info on them, especially how long the batteries will last and how difficult it is to change them.

Do any of you have any experience with motorized blackout curtains/blinds for media rooms. If so, I would appreciate your comments and suggestions as to what I should look for and/or avoid.

Spring "Press Up For Up Press Down For Down" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Check into hurricane shutters, that place needs protection sometimes.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    we went with hard-wired motorized. do the drapes however your interior designer wants, and they will spec fully-lined light proof backing. that's if they are pretty full window treatments like ours

media_room.jpg

or you could do the simpler rolled shades that ride in a channel each side of the opening. that will give you freedom to do lighter window treatments if you want. something that is less heavy and very bright when the drapes are open, but very dark when closed. ours is more of a traditional heavy theater curtain, velvet, type of window treatment, so we got away with lining them, and a second inner curtain
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    We just put down the big roll-up door and it gets real dark in ours.

redneck_riveria.JPG
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We survived Hurricane Ike's 125 mph wind without them so I think I'll stick with something more decorative.

Spring "Huff 'n Puff 'n Blow-Hard Survivor" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    We tried the opulent route already but with so many watching TV my popcorn bill went sky high and the room started smelling like a really old theater. So we decided to just keep it simple and limit viewers to the two of us and stop cooking popcorn. Now all I need to do is make it so we can be in the dark when we want to.

Spring "In The Dark On Many Things" Chicken
  • stike
    Options
    well. the advice still holds. you dinnit axe about the number of chairs, right?

heavy drapes (motorized or not) wthat are truly lined for dark-room levels of light blocking. or separate rolled shades that ride in a channel down each side of the window, separate from whatever drapes you have
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    WOW!!! Way too simple for me. Besides, I use my garage as a woodworking shop. Power tools tend to be too noisy for TV rooms.

I think I'll stick with my original plan.

Spring "Sawdust Making Machine" Chicken
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Is that an ATM in the corner?
  • stike
    Options
    that's the rack for the sound system
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Hey Leroy.
    If you find a Hunter Douglas blind or shade you like I can order at Dealer cost.
    Darian
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    Thanks... I'll certainly keep it in mind when we start thinking 'window darkening' again.

Spring "Knows Someone Who Knows Someone In Dark Places" Chicken