Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Here's another new guy!

Options
1st5
1st5 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a large egg at my local hardware store the day before Christmas. It is my annual House Present!

Having put it together I had to get cooking. I had a wild boar ham ready for smoking. I got the egg set up and holding a 250 temperature. The ham had a lot of good fat on it so I just stuffed some garlic in it and rubbed it with Penzey's BBQ 3000. About 3.5 hours later I had a perfectly smoke ham with a nice smoke ring. It was tender and delicious. I'm quite proud of my first cook.

Christmas Day, since I was the on call for work I had to stay home alone while my wife went to the family dinner. I think I got the better end of that deal! I had defrosted a venison roast. Since it is a very lean roast I larded it with bacon by running chopstick through it and stuffing bacon and sage leaves in the channel. Then I rubbed it with Savory Spices Gunbarrel Venison sausage mix, topped it with thyme and sage, and wrapped it in bacon. Had the egg set up at about 250 and let it go for 2 1/2 hours for medium rare. I had a meat thermometer in to check it towards the end. Once I was close enough I brought the heat up to 350 and put a skewered yam basted in butter on the grill. After a few minutes of that I pulled the roast to let it rest and finished the yam. Hands down, the very best venison roast I've ever had. I usually turn the roast cuts into ground or sausage since they tend to dry out but not this one.
Last night I had leftover roast so I just fired up the egg and roasted some new potatos and onions at 350 for about an hour and a half.
I'm really loving this. My previous BBQ's were the weber kettle, which I've had for about twenty years, and the Weber Genesis gas grill. I really don't see either of these getting any further use.

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Welcome! Whole new taste to food even with the basic fixing!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Welcome! Man...first two cooks and you are already making the rest of us look bad ;). I only cook boring stuff like ribs, steak, pulled pork.

My neighbor has a venison hindquarter he wants me to smoke for him. I might steal some of your ideas!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Welcome to the forum 1st5. Consider taking pic's of your cooks and posting them here. We love pic's. Tim :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Your first couple of cooks sound great. Where are you from?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• 1st5
    1st5 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks guys,
    I'm from Petaluma CA. I bought this large bge from Rex Ace Hardware. Great people there. They are eggheads big time.
    I have lots of experience with cooking and bbq. I'm a hunter...pigs are year round and deer for a few months over the summer...so I always have wild game meat to cook.
    I took some before pic's of these two cooks just have to get them on photobucket so I can post them.
    I'm thinking yardbirds this weekend or more wild pork...or both.