Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

How do you keep a Turkey stable on a platter?

RGBHVRGBHV Posts: 1,318
edited 2:57PM in EggHead Forum
I'm sure that there's some obvious solution to this, but I can't figure it out.

So you take the bird out of the egg and place it on a platter. (check) When I try to slice the turkey it starts moving around on the platter. I did cook it so I know it's still not alive. Ha! Ha!

Anyone have any tips and tricks to keep the turkey stable on a platter?

Michael

Comments

• use the carving fork .. that is what it is for .
    as far as wings and dark meat i grab them with my hand

i carve on a board and then put the meat on the platter ..
    you can get carving boards with spikes

http://www.amazon.com/J-K-Adams-TCB-2014-S-20-Inch-Traditional/dp/B000HESW1S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1293461688&sr=8-6
  • srq2625srq2625 Posts: 262
    You might get some ideas from watching Alton Brown's video -
  • that is the technique i use too
    most folksdo not have knives sharp enough to cut breast slices off the whole bird with out mangling them and even with really sharp knives it can be hit or miss.
    retired buthcer who has been giving classes at the reading terminal market re arranges the cut turkey on the platter to look like a spatchcocked turkey nice touch but i do not have a platter big enough for 1 19 lb turkey
  • RGBHVRGBHV Posts: 1,318
    I like that wood platter with the spikes.

I use a carving fork but the turkey just slides around.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Michael
    Thanks Kim:

I used some paper towel last time but it didn't work. I may try the dish towel.

Happy Holidays,

Michael
    Wow, I've heard of this, but never experienced it before...

I can't watch the video in Canada due to copy right issues...Hmmm..

Happy Holidays!

Michael
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 22,871
    my turkey pan has a nice rack with flip down handles, i just lift it out of the pan and leave it on the rack, make the gravy, then it goes back in the pan to be cut up, my pan looks like a serving platter and the turkey never leaves the rack i cook it on
    004-8.jpg

i cook a couple birds, leftovers next day i cut off the breast then slice

026-1.jpg
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,173
    Michael, I cooked a tiny 11 pounder for a potluck (wasn't planning on attending hence the small bird meant for 3). A BIL who used to be a sous chef did an amazing job of reconstructing the sliced, boneless bird. Happy Nu Year back at ya ;)

eda0049d.jpg

Gary
    canuckland
    Thanks for sharing!

I wonder what the max size bird a tray like that would hold.

Michael
  • crghc98crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I put a thin plastic cutting board in a cookie sheet and cut on that, then move the slices to a platter....keeps the juices in the sheet and when I make soup afterward I just scrape everything into the pot...
    ive done plenty of 18 and smaller, that ones probably around 17. see no reason you couldnt do a twenty pounder. the platter is also a cover for the big dutch oven i have, both sides have aluminum encased for even cooking, when im done the other side is used for the soup

003-2.jpg
    Good to know - thank you!

Michael
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Oops I carved the breast the long way. :blush:

Either way I guess. My breast was still very flavorful and juicy if I do say so myself. :P
    Is that a turkey soup recipe? Is there a recipe or did you simply put something together? Tim

I'll tell you what I have is two fresh breasts I cooked for Christmas got their chest cavity sheared off with the wings..I put them in the freezer and cooked the breasts neatly trimmed. Can I make the broth out of the trimmings then some kind of soup?