Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Makin' Bacon

Options
chocdoc
chocdoc Posts: 461
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Christmas day was pretty quiet - given we'd had the big meal at my brother's place on Christmas eve. That gave me time to smoke the maple cured and ice wine cured versions of bacon that had been stewing for a week.

It was the recipe from Ruhlman's Charcuterie - with the ice wine version replacing the maple syrup with ice wine.

Both tasted quite nice - I think I liked the maple cured a bit better.

5295573248_6f9636b8d4.jpg
DSCN2322 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

Ice wine version on the left, maple cured on the right.

5295573276_b75bec4c34.jpg
DSCN2326 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5294977781_58f2d02dfa.jpg
DSCN2329 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

5295573370_c8b8f15db4.jpg
DSCN2330 by ChocDoc1, on Flickr

A nice little rib steak I cooked up today for lunch to test out the new CI grill I picked up to use on my spider.

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    It all looks GREAT! What in the world is ICE WINE? :huh: :blush:
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Ice Wine (Eiswein in Germany) is wine made from the juice squeezed from frozen grapes. The water freezes leaving the sugar rich part of the juice still liquid - so the very high sugar content juice forms the basis of the wine. Similar to botryis wines made with grapes that have been left on the vine after harvest and develop the 'noble rot'. The grape dehydrates, again leaving a high sugar juice. Made right you get a very sweet wine with a nice balancing acidity - great with old cheeses or with desserts.

Coming up in a few weeks the Niagara region is having it's annual Ice Wine festival - a couple of weeks of general drinking and freezing your ass off. I'll be attending with my BGE dealer - with bacon bark made with my ice wine cured bacon and hot chocolate shots make with chocolate cold smoked on the egg.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Thanks! Sounds like a BLAST!
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Bacon looks amazing.
    Going to pick that book up in the new year
    Thanks for the post

Shane
  • BigA