Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs

Options
brownbw
brownbw Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a large BGE for Christmas... Cooked several different things on it so far (butts, wings, burgers, steaks) my question is: how liberal are most people with their rubs? I ordered some DP rub and Blues Hog sauce after reading lots of great info and reviews here. Excited about smoking some ribs later this week with them.
Also going to explore bread making and pizza... I ordered the 15" pizza stone from Fred's Music and BBQ. Anyone tried it? It was way cheaper than the BGE stone!
Opelika, AL

Comments

• LFGEnergy
    Options
    Hopefully you got your new egg a little before Christmas???!!! Butts, wings, burgers AND steaks.....took me 3 or 4 months to figure out my egg and burn thru half of your cooks-to-dates! Did everything come out tasty?

From a DP perspective, I am exclusively Raging River for pork, poultry, and fish....Best rub ever, and I have tried my share.

Anyway, few days before new years. Try Prime Rib, salmon (I like cedar plank), or pork tenderloins!!! Or maybe all of them!!!

BTW, if you need a taster, let me know if in Texas!

Welcome to the community, and the BGE addiction!!!!
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    I've actually cooked a lot of BBQ, since I'm on a team, but we usually have a normal side smoker. We've upgraded a lot this year, and will now be using the egg and a new Stump smoker for competitions. I just needed some opinions on how much rub people used-we usually are pretty liberal with our rubs. I did get my egg on Monday so I've had some time to play with it. All the food I cooked was great. The butts were really good!
    Btw, I'm in Auburn, AL, but if you make it to Auburn for a game or something, come on!
    Opelika, AL
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I see you are on a comp t\eam.Most comp cookers use a lot heavier rub cause ya gotta get the judges attention with one or two bites.MOST comp Q is not a good home Q.Start with a dusting and add more as you try it.You can always add more,but ya can't take it off.Good luck and WELCOME to da CULT! :)
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I relatively new to both the egg and to low-n-slow cooking (but learning fast as I can - this site is wonderful resource :) ), so use what I might say at your own peril ....

[li]I make my own rubs. My primary recipe source is Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue: Barbecue Your Way to Greatness with 575 Lip-Smackin' Recipes from the Baron of Barbecue. I've pretty much settled on a nice rub for pork and another for beef (and expimenting looking for that perfect rub).
    [li]Becuase I make my own, I don't feel the need to be too cautious with their use so I'm quite liberal. However,
    [li]Like Hoss has already mentioned, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. I am very liberal with the rub on things like pork butt, but I use a much lighter touch with things like ribs, steaks, etc.

And, as always, YMMV :)
  • Chief Chef
    Options
    All that since Monday is a pretty full schedule. Somewhere between a dusting and a full coating is right for us. Welcome to the club.
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Hoss would know more about how much rub, comp versus home, as I tend to use less than more, except for my ribs (which I have not hit the point where I think too much).

I would be interested on your perspective (as a competitor) on the amount of smoke you get into the cook comparing side smoker versus egg. I have settled in with the egg (which I actually like the finish better than my previous cookers), but have never really got the deep smoke I used to get with my other smokers. From a competitive perspective, how will you compensate?