Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas rib roast w/RRP\'s rub

Options
Fluffyb
Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! The fiance picked up a little prime rib from our butcher last week. I put it in the back of the fridge to age for about 8 days.
003-61.jpg

Made RRP's rub to put on it and let it sit for about an hour. I loved this rub and will definitely be doing it again! Thanks RRP and whomever had the original recipe. Here is a link to his post http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1013411&catid=1#
001-55.jpg

004-49.jpg

Put on the egg with small yukon gold potatoes, garlic & onion. At 300 for about an hour and a half.
005-55.jpg

The meat was done but the potatoes were not, so took the roast off and bumped up the temp while it rested.
007-47.jpg

A perfect medium rare and oh so tender. Served w/green bean casserole, horseradish sauce, au jus and a wonderful California Cabernet.
009-30.jpg

Comments

• Fornia
    Fornia Posts: 451
    Options
    Looks like a great meal there!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Looks delicious - glad you enjoyed the rub too!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    We especially liked the taste of the allspice.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Ah, you dry aged. What are your thoughts about flavor, texture? Very nice meal Teresa!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Molly,

It was extremely tender and seemed to me to have a "beefier" taste. Fiance woke up this morning commenting on how good it was.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    Looks good, Teresa! How did you like the aging, could you tell a difference?
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Teresa:

What a great dinner! Gives you a glow when it's really special, doesn't it?

I want to know more about aging it. Did you put it in the refrigerator uncovered for 8 days? or vacuum-sealed? or what? Dry aging is about letting the air dry it, right? Im not into complicated pre-cooking procedures so I'm hoping you just shoved it in the fridge uncovered and took it out to cook it. Please enlighten me.

Judy in San Diego
    Judy in San Diego
  • Fluffyb
    Options
    Judy & Chris,

I thought aging it made it far more tender and a deeper flavor. In fact, I didn't think it was done, even though my thermopen and another thermometer said it was at 130, which is usually overcooked for our taste. I wrapped it in two clean flour sack towels for 24 hours and put it on a rack in a pan in the back of the fridge. Changed the towels after 24 hours, re-wrapped with another and just let it sit until yesterday. I definitely recommend giving it a try.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    It looks delicious, I will be giving it a try soon. Happy Holidays!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Very nice Teresa :)
    Going to try some dry aging this year

Shane