Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Calibrating thermometer

psalzerpsalzer Posts: 108
edited 8:29AM in EggHead Forum
Got an Egg at Thanksgiving and love it!! I did not pay enough attention to the part about calibrating the thermometer until yesterday (I'm a slow learner). After cooking a turkey breast and having it get done a lot sooner than I expected I checked the thermometer yesterday ... almost 24 degrees off!! Thanks to all here who got my curiosity up and made me check this problem. Putting a Rib Roast on this morning!!!

Comments

• RipnemRipnem Posts: 5,511
    Keep a close eye on those things. I used to check and correct them every couple months, sometimes off as much as 70 degrees. :huh:

Tel-Tru makes a great replacement. It's a good feeling having 2 thermopens, 3 Tel-Trus and a Maverick all reading within a degree of one another.
  • Right inside of my back door is a landing where my wife has relegated my eggin' materials. I bought a cheap wrench (7/16 I think) and I keep it in my egg stash along with a paper plate with a hole in the center so I don't burn the hell out of myself.

This site helped me a lot.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm#calibrate