Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So much to learn

Options
Spineguy
Spineguy Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So, I decided to cook a 10lb brisket for Christmas Dinner this year. First brisket cook, put it on at around 11pm with dome temp stabilized at 250. Watched the temp til 1 am, was steady at 250 so I went to bed. Woke up at 7 to a dome temp of 150ish, internal temp of brisket was 111. Cursing under my breath, I get the brisket off, get the coals going again, and put the brisket back on at dome temp of 300 and start backing it down to 250. At 10:45 my brisket is at an internal temp of 190 and I have to pull it off and wrap it and get it in the cooler. Less than 12 hours for a 10lb brisket and no plateau to sit through seems it fly in the face of all that i've read about cooking brisket. I guess we will have a brisket lunch instead of dinner, lol. I thought I set up the egg correctly, totally cleaned out the firebox, dumped out my bag of hardwood charcoal, putting large pieces in first, then adding successively larger pieces until firebox was full. Holes looked clear as I was filling the firebox.

I guess done early is better than not done at all.

Comments

• Brokersmoker
    Options
    I've only done one brisket, but everything that I have read says that each one has a mind of its own. Hope all enjoy it......Merry Christmas
  • Spineguy
    Options
    I was surprised, but the brisket was a success. Tender, juicy, nice smoke ring, and it tasted good too! I'm sure a Texan could find fault with it, but for us native Californians, it was a hit. Stayed warm in the cooler for 5 hours. I fully expect the next brisket I make will take several hours longer than expected, just to keep me guessing!

Merry Christmas to all the Eggers out there!

P.S. My pop bought me a lawn ranger grid lifter for Christmas this year, what a beautiful tool! I'm a little late to the party with regards to his products, but I am impressed.