Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Stone temp for pizza?

Options
howmeisterg
howmeisterg Posts: 143
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those with an IR thermo or other method of determining temp of the stone, what is the optimal stone temp to cook pizza on?

I am not talking dome temp.

Thanks!

Comments

• SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Sorry , there is no "correct" stone temp...it depends on the hydration (water content by weight) of the dough and the type of flour you used in the dough, and whether there is oil or sugar in the dough ..and probably a few more factors.

That being said, when I use Neopolitan style dough (no oil or sugar, high hydration and Caputo flour) the stone (or floor of the wood oven for that matter) can be up to 800 , sometimes more ...but in the BGE ...your stone can go WAY over that if you just put it and leave it in there with the fire raging ... you might want to take a look at some of the vids I have ... some of this is explained and one day, I will edit and post the entire master-session I had at last years eggfest where we really got into it ..

so ..just to give you quick answer ... I don't put any pies on the stone until 500 degrees (F) and things seem to bake best at 600 to 700 with Caputo dough. There are plenty of other ways to do it but I seem to prefer this way.
    FB/SGP

IMG_4928.jpg
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    I like to see close to 500..plus or minus a bit..but I do agree with Fred, the dough you use makes all the difference....once you have found a dough you like, then you can learn what "stone" temps give you the pie YOU like the best...enjoy the lessons..
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    Thanks, Fred - I appreciate the time you spent on your reply. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Enjoy the gig!
  • WessB
    Options
  • howmeisterg
    Options
    SGP -

Watched your video (again) as a refresher, and the pizza came out fantastic! Used whole wheat store bought dough, a 520 degree stone, did not roll the edges flat. The edges came out so fluffy and airy, and the crust was just cooked while being a bit crispy on the bottom and not mushy at all under the sauce.

After over doing the last pie, this one came out great and the fam loved it. I was so impressed that I forgot to take pictures. Next time!
  • WessB
    Options
    Anytime George...glad to help.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a good one! Some other things / tips I forgot to mention .... keep the toppings light ..In Italy , they put very sparse toppings ... also , get toppings up to room temp ... a bunch of cold toppings on the top will keep the top from cooking! The first couple of times we made pizza on the Egg, I put on so much stuff on the pies that wifey kept asking me ... why is the center raw? I didn't have a clue ...duh ....then I remembered pizza in Florence and Naples .. hardly anything on top of it and it was killer ...so theres some more tips. Enjoy that 'za on the Egg! FB/SGP
    Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa.