Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yesterday's pastrami

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Diggin in the back of the freezer, I found a corned beef that I bought on sale last year after St. Patty's day. I had completely forgotten about it. I really didn't want corned beef and after some searching came upon the idea of pastrami. Looking around, I decided to go with ThirdEye's recipe found on his site.

So I took my corned beef out of the freezer and starting Monday night I soaked it in water, changing it every 12 hours or so to pull out some of the sodium and other stuff it is soaked in.

Rubbed it down with some mustard and applied the rub found on his site yesterday afternoon
P1020194.jpg

I set up my egg for about 275, indirect with the placesetter it, leggs up and a pan filled with water. I used hickory for this smoke as it was all I had on hand.
P1020195.jpg

P1020196.jpg

I think it went for about 7.5 hours total
P1020197.jpg

Sliced up
P1020199.jpg

P1020200.jpg

Served it up on some toasted rye bread Reuben style with some home made spinach dip
P1020201.jpg

Definitely some good eats. We really enjoyed it, but I wish that I had a meat slicer to slice it up thinner. Oh well, its on my wish list and Christmas is a few days away.

Oh, and I had some leftovers for breakfast.
P1020202.jpg

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Looks great Griffin! That has become one of my favorite cooks. Next time try the wet finish for something a little different. I even had a friend request I cook one tomorrow, for Christmas Eve. But he is an Oregonian so I told him I would make him some for the National Championship game.

Merry Christmas!
  • thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    That looks great. I did one a while ago. Don't they taste fantastic.
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Man that looks great! I don't know the difference between corn beef and pastrami- but I love them both and I'm sure 7.5 hours on the egg made it great. I love the breakfast. Corned beef hash (I mean pastrami hash).

If you have any more leftovers maybe give this a try.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Well done, Griffin, a standing "O". Great color and nice and moist.

A fairly popular slicer here is the Chef's Choice (Model 610, if memory doesn't fail me), available at Amazon for about $100.

Yep: LINK
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    looks real juicy, what temp did you pull it at
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Fluffyb - Not sure what you mean by wet finish, but when it got to about 155, I wrapped it in foil with a little beef broth until it got to 165. Is that a wet finish?

SmokeyPitt - that looks really good. Might have to try that. I think the difference is in the cure and the cook. Pastrami is smoked and then steamed, if I understand it correctly.

Jeffersonian - Thanks for the link. I've been looking around and researching. The wife was saying what do we need a meat slicer for. After last night, I think she's almost on board for one now.

Fishlessman - 165.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• You're gonna need that slicer for your bacon, too, buddy. Once you start down the charcuterie path, there's just no stopping.

I have a few gripes about the 610, but it's a serviceable little unit for not a lot of dough.
  • Nice work, Griffin. That just made me hungry for pastrami.

I have the 610 slicer and it works great.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Fantastic! It's been too long since I had pastrami.
  •  
    Your pastrami looks great. Love thirdeye's method it's an easy cook and very good eats.

Made some pastrami burgers on my last batch.
    pastrami-burger.jpg

A meat slicer would be great for those thinner slices. Harbor Freight has a meat slicer for $19 or $25 bucks. Not the finest on the market but it works pretty good.

GG
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    That is awsome. :)
    Looks really good.
    Something I am going to try soon
    Thanks for the post

Merry Christmas
    Shane
  • That is a really nice post!! Looks really good!
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Nicely done Griffin!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Newbie question... is there a link to Thirdeye's recipe for this Pastrami??
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    My oh my.....some many cooks to do so little time.... I've got a corned beef in my freezer too.