Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine for venison??

Options
MerlinEgger
MerlinEgger Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was given a hindquarter recently. I looked in the archives for recipes and could not find any mention of brining. I seem to remember that one of the reasons to brine is the lack of fat that is in todays foods - especially lean pork. Has anyone brined venison? If not, do you see any reason it wouldn't be a good idea? Any other cooking tips for venison would also be appreciated. This will be my first time. Thanks everybody and Happy New Year!

Comments

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    MerlinEgger,[p]I don't know about brining, but I have heard that with venison and other wild game, soaking in buttermilk will help eliminate the "gamie" taste. [p]Like you mentioned, I bet the meat is quite lean, and low n slow cooking would tend to dry it out a bit. I high temp sear could be the answer![p]Smokey
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    MerlinEgger, I've got an excellent marinade for venison![p]Roast Leg or Haunch of Roebuck (Paul Bocuse, from Paul Bocuse's French Cooking)[p]The marinade from that recipe is as follows:
    • Pinch crushed sea salt
    • 3 shallots, thinly sliced
    • 1 large onoin, thinly sliced
    • 1 carrot, thinly sliced
    • 2 sprigs parsley
    • Sprig thyme
    • 1/2 bay leaf
    • Pinch crushed peppercorns
    • 3/4 cup white wine
    • 4 tablespoons vinegar
    • 4 tablespoons olive oil[p]Instead of all the slicing & dicing I just toss all in a food processor and marinate the venison overnight.[p]Bone appétit! JCA