Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short-term Dry Aging Observations - Ping RRP/Stike

Options
LFGEnergy
LFGEnergy Posts: 618
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A lot of great advice has been offered over last few days re: getting prime rib roasts ready for Christmas (or maybe new years) even if only a few days of aging was available, and I thought I might provide a few observations....

I unwrapped a subprimal a few days ago (Friday), big boy (17 lb) and put into the beer fridge in the garage. I did some very minor trimming of the fat cap, not much, but now see that the fat cap after only a few days has dried and reduced significantly, creating what I think will be an intense flavor layer that is not as "fat layer overwhelming" that folks would cut it off (my concern) when served. Glad I did not cut more off!!!!!! Also, even after 3 days I am seeing a shrinking of the cut, which means less water, more flavor....while the enzyme thing may not kick in...moisture reduction is happening which is a good thing!!!

So, get that meat defrosted, unwrapped, and in the fridge for some dry aging as soon as you can. Even a few days can matter!!! And if you are cooking for new years (which the other half of my sub is commited to) you still have time to jack that roast up with some fridge time :lol: :woohoo: :P !!!

Thanks to those that have encouraged and taught the newbies in the ways of aging beef....

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I bought a whole bone in Rib roast(sub primal) today.I will allow it to continue wet aging in the cryovac til Xmas eve.It will then be derobed,cut in half,one wet aged half cooked.The other half is goin in the fridge for another attempt at dryaging.I hopin for Easter but may have to cook it Valentines! ;)Commando-The aging and the cook! :woohoo:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    sorry, but the last time I counted on my fingers and toes there is no way you can age that sub-primal for my suggested 45 days between now and Saturday! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    The exterior fat layer will tighten up and give up a lot of water very quickly. One of my peeves with a regular unaged rib steak is the fat is watery and not very palatable. But as you noticed, at least the exterior layer will lose much of that water even during a short 'age'. I guess it's more a quick 'dry' instead of age, but better than not, right?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    why not dry age it? get rid of some of that water in the fat
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    Yea, I am pretty excited about this one! Still kicking myself for not getting this at Thanksgiving!!!!
  • stike
    Options
    i am kicking myself because i'll only have i think 40 days.

:laugh: