Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza newbie questions

Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We bought publix dough from the bakery and a peel from williams sonoma (thanks max). My question is, does that ball of dough make one pizza or more? [p]I'm planning a 550 degree cook of a cheese and pepperoni pizza. Any tips you've got would be appreciated.[p]Note to egg newbies. Don't worry about the egg cost. It's the least of your worries. It's the egg-cessories that'll kill ya![p]LOL

Comments

• Mark Backer,
    man, you didn't waste any time. ..what, were you comunicating via blackberry a little while ago. . .did you get my message in time to buy the cake kit???

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]No, but I had made several trips to WS before christmas and since I knew where to go, where to park, and where the peel was, by the time she got your cookie recommendation to me via the old cell phone, I was already halfway home.[p]By the way, is my wife a true egger now? When she saw the price on the peel ($24), she said "that will pay for itself by not ordering pizza for delivery the second time we make it."[p]Ah, the life of the rationalizer...[p]lol
  • Mark Backer,[p]Got me a stone for Christmas, peel tommorrow. I've made a pizza before but it has been ages. I'm using a bread maker. Let me know what you do for sauce. Toppings, I'm still undecided. One thing I do remember was that on the first try I did a few medium sized ones instead of a large. Easier to manage.[p]CWM
  • Mark Backer,
    Here's my pizza hints and tips page:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pizza Hints and Tips[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mark Backer,
    your wife is correct - let alone the savings on tips for the delivery man. We have not ordered pizza now in four years since I started egging. We like it so much that it is a standard meal every two weeks like clockwork!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    "that will pay for itself by not ordering pizza for delivery the second time we make it."[p]Ummm that's not what I've found. My observation is it's probably cheaper to buy a delivered pizza than make one yourself. Maybe it's because I tend to use more cheese, more pepperoni, more sausage ....[p]Anyway, it's a lot of fun to make one oneself AND I've got mine to tasting better than takeout. That's priceless.
  • Mark Backer,[p]Red Baron $4.99[p]Papa Murphy's $7.99 1 topping large.[p]Winning a bet you can cook a pizza on a grill. PRICELESS![p]CWM
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Mark Backer,[p]550° may be a bit high, in my experience. I've been getting my best pizza results between 450-500°. But experiment for yourself, since every rig is different. The goal is to reach that happy medium where the crust develops properly without scorching either it or the toppings. My tip would be to sneak up from below on a lower temp, say 475-500°, and make adjustments for future pizzas from there.[p]Bob