Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Potluck Butt & nice prize

R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I signed up to smoke a boston butt for a work potluck. Took advantage of a nice price ($0.99 /lb) for a pair (one was 8 lbs, other was 9 lbs):

IMG_6825.jpg

I decided to go with a higher heat cook for these. Injected the butts with a simple injection of mostly apple juice and fired up the Egg in the wee hours of the morning. Rubbed them good with some Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and some of their Sweet & Spicy Rub. Put the butts on at 2 AM and let them smoke a little over an hour around 230 before ramping the temp up to around 280-290. Foiled them with a little apple juice when they reached around 165 and pulled them after about 7 - 7 1/2 hrs of cooking. Both pulled at an internal temp around 200-203.

After about a 75 minute rest I opened up the smaller butt (it was staying home for our consumption :) ):
IMG_6830.jpg
IMG_6831.jpg

The bone pulled out without a fight and after a quick pull I was tasting some delicious tender juicy pork:
IMG_6837.jpg
IMG_6834.jpg

I took the other one to the work potluck and pulled it on the spot to the delight of my coworkers. I had a great finish to a long day when I ended up with a "door prize" that was perfect for me:
IMG_6839.jpg

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
Bay Area, CA

Comments