Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Help! Ceramic bottom in pieces, replacement?

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The ceramic base (the removable piece with the little holes in it) of my one-year-old Medium Green Egg broke into three pieces today, and my local dealer is closed for several days (and is a short hike). What to do? Would a local dealer carry a replacement part like this? Or can I get a replacement part on-line? Help!

Comments

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    Brian Arnold,[p]Pretty much anything with holes and will not burn or melt will work. Pictured is a iron trivett made by Lodge that many of us use (I hope you have a large Egg since that is what this fits). Many stores sell them.[p]Also - try JB Weld or furnace cement - they are suppose to be able to glue he pieces and hold up under the heat. Check the archives for more on that. Others will come to help too.[p]Stay calm. Bge will stand behind it - call them Tuesday.
    BGE[p]1-888-929-3447
    1-800-939-3447
    Atlanta, GA[p]
    Tim

• GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, the Lodge replacement is 8", the original grate is 6.5" - the drain cover is only 7 inches!

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Brian Arnold, go to your local weld shop and get a piece of junk diamond mesh.. Have them trim it to approximately 8 inches around. You probably will not even use your new grate when it comes. Just another alternative and shouldn't cost ya over a couple bucks. Try to get 3/4 x 1/4 diamond.

• Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Char-Woody,[p] Is 8" too big for a medium egg?[p]MikeO
  • GfwGfw Posts: 1,598
    S12_23_9909_41_01.jpg
    <p />MikeO, 'Too Big' is a relative term. The original grate for a medium is 6.5 inches. The larger the replacement, the further up the firebox from the original design - 8 inches will fit, but will it change the cooking pattern? One thing for sure, a broken grate doesn't work well at all, so any replacement is better than a cracked one that doesn't work![p]
  • Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MikeO, Measure the bottom ash pit opening and cut it about a inch larger than the circumferance of the ash pit. If you wish to use one of my earlier design's cut a second one that will fit into the ashpit hole and then put (1) 2 inch SSteel bolt with washers attaching the lower disk to the upper disk. This will eliminate wobble in the firechamber.
    Good luck..C~W[p]