Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Using Guru only for Thermometer

Dan in StLDan in StL Posts: 247
edited 4:51AM in EggHead Forum
I've got a CyberQ II and was wondering if there is any problem with using it just to monitor food temp. There are times when I don't really need the fan and the pit temp control, but I would like to have ongoing food temp monitoring. Basically, if I don't need the fan I'm just wanting to be lazy and not drag it out and put it away again.

The only reason I'm asking is that I thought I remembered reading in their documentation that the CyberQ "learns" over time how much fan to use boost the temp, thereby making it more efficient at managing temps.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    my thought would be is to call them and ask their opinion.
    http://www.thebbqguru.com/pages/Contact-Us.html
  •  
    I have done it on the DigiQ.

GG
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    Dan, I say go for it. I have a CyberQ II and I have used it to control the pit with the food probe plugged up on the outside while smoking spare ribs. I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite. ;)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,169
    may I ask a question? why use a $250 piece of gear to do the same work that a $15 "Polder" will do and not risk damaging the Guru? It's like saying use you can use a laptop for a doorstop, but why?
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL