Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Scallop recipe needed

TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
edited 4:08PM in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a good sea scallop recipe, either smoked, grilled or seared? Thank you.

Comments

• HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    Do you have maple/alder wood planks?
  • TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
    I do have maple planks
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    I love to cook them on Maple planks and drizzel them with maple syrup at the tail end of the cook.Just don't overcook em. ;)
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,238
    If they are the large sea scallops, I like to cut them in half, take 1/2 of a water chesnut and wrap with some thin bacon that has been in the microwave 2-3 minutes to partially cook. Using Kikkoman marinade, Set up direct like for abt's or wings and cook about 15 minutes or so until they are done. Add more Kikkoman and serve hot. BBQ Sauce works just as well.
  • TnVolKenTnVolKen Posts: 198
    Hoss, how long do you cook them on the plank?
  • I do my do jumbo / Lg. scallops on the Egg direct on the grill on double skewers. Most often I have wraped them in bacon, but have used other "cured" meats as well, which may be the way you could go.
    I've used proscuitto and Capicollo with success and even though I haven't tried it here....I have substatuted Black Forest Ham for Proscitto when making a Chicken Saltimbocca.
    I cook scallops more by sight then anything....The main "Rule of Thumb" being: They should turn milky white or opaque and still be firm.
    Here is a good place to start:
    Cook direct at 400 to 450 F. for about 8 minutes turning once.
    At this point I mop with my Bourbon Sauce and let carmalize a bit.

JB’s Bourbon Peach Barbecue Sauce:
    1/4 C. peach preserves
    1/4 C. bourbon
    1/4 C. chili sauce
    1-1/2 t. OLD BAY® Seasoning

1)) Combine all the ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat simmer for 5 minutes...Set aside.
  • thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428
    dsc03528a2L.jpg

You're not the only one that likes them planked. Hehee. I take mine to about 135° internal. I also like them seared in a CI pan.

DSC01158ac.jpg

This is a good place to mention this... There are dry scallops and wet scallops. Wet scallops have been treated with phosphates and will bleed so much water you will wonder what's going on. Their texture is somewhat mushy, and they don't have the true taste. So always ask the person at the fish counter. Here are some they swore were not treated, and when I went for a refund the next day they said I wasn't the only one that was bitchin'... heheee.

DSC01241a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery