Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Dinner

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am at a loss on what to fix for Christmas dinner. The family does NOT want turkey this year. And we always have ham on New Years Day. I fix a nice brisket once every couple of weeks so that's out. I want something that appears to be "special" but that won't take a lot of work (hey, I want to enjoy the grandkids enjoying their christmas). Anyone have any suggestions? I know my side items will be my special green bean casserole, collard greens, macaroni & cheese, deviled eggs....just don't have an idea for a main course.

Comments

• SWOkla-Jerry
    Options
    We are getting away from traditional turkey & dressing this xmas. I have thawing in frig a full standing rib roast (prime rib), but choice. Gonna build the sides around this meal for 27.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Crown Roast of Pork.

Pork, Roast, Crown, Christmas

CrownRoast.jpg

INGREDIENTS:
    1 15 Lbs. Pork, Roast, Crown, 24 Bones
    Stuffing
    3 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mixture
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    6-8 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

Procedure:
    1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with cheap yellow mustard, Spice Island Lemon Garlic and Indian River Pepper Blend. Rested for about an hour.
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 250°F placed the roast on the grid without the stuffing in the middle.
    4 Had 3-4 pieces of apple and a handful of pecan chips for smoke. Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones.
    5 About 2 hours into the cook, stuffed the cooked rice mixture into the cavity, took about 3/4's of the batch. Saved the rest for later. Closed the BGE and went another 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 147°F.
    6 Pulled, let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, my first roast project, had so much going on that the roast was ready 3 hours before the guests were hungry.
    7 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    8 Placed little gold paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    SIDES SERVED:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2006/12/25

2007/01/02---RPH-Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 bone per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

2008/02/26---Just saw a picture of a crown roast that used cherry tomatoes for the tips of the bones--neat idea--perhaps green olives would work also Colorful. Richard Fl
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Standing Rib Roast,Crown Roast of Pork.Beef tenderloin.All are delicious, easy cooks with a WOW factor.
  • Hoss
    Options
    You,King Richard ,are on you're toes tonite!A very EASY,Impressive cook! ;)
  • Hoss
    Options
    I like how you roll Jerry! ;)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    Prime rib is easy and guaranteed to be a hit. I followed Dr BBQ's video exactly, and it came out perfect.

http://firecooker.com/recipes/entry/christmas-prime-rib/

Prime%20Rib%201.jpg

Prime%20Rib%202.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Chief Chef
    Options
    Thanks for the cooking info. I am looking forward to doing the same for Christmas dinner.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I made Beef Wellington last Christmas. It was easy and the family loved it.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=786783&catid=1#
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Lill Prophet's Mom,

Leg of lamb is easy and makes a beautiful presentation.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    stuffed pork loin...apples, cranberry, stuffing....still festive but not the traditional