Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for football and tailgating? We are! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. If you need an easy breakfast recipe, these Sticky Buns are the way to go. If you’re looking for a fan favorite with bacon, try these Double Pork Sliders. We can’t wait to kick off another fall full of tasty food!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Char Crust on Steak

mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited 4:31AM in EggHead Forum
Anyone used some of the CharCrust stuff on good steaks? I have all the flavors (having purchased the combo pack) and thought maybe I'd try one instead of the good old mustard/salt standby. Whaddya think, oh wise ones, and which flavor?

• Char-WoodyChar-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, My favorite is the garlic and peppercorn for starters. Mustard is always a great base for rubs but go with it without and compare. I like it both ways.

• Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    MollyShark,[p]I am with Woody - on steaks the garlic -peppercorn is hard to beat but the original comes very close. If the yare really good steaks, I prefer sea salt & pepper. Enjoy.[p]Tim
  • TeslamaniaTeslamania Posts: 144
    MollyShark,[p]Try your own test. Try cooking two steaks with different flavors and see what you like. Roto roast is great on prime rib.

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Sounds good. I'll try the garlic on mine and original on the little guy's. I have a ribeye. He has a strip. And yes, they are good ones. Very good. Prime...2" thick. So I'm spoiled, ok![p]Put my new stainless vent cover on today, incidentally. Looks lovely. Had to gut it to get to the bolts, of course, but a good occasion to clean out Senor Egg. The regular vent cover rusted through in no time. I wasn't very happy! I mean, this isn't Arizona...but it isn't Seattle either![p]Thanks for your advice. Will let ya know howsit goes!
  • Tim MTim M Posts: 2,410
    MollyShark,[p]It shouldn't have been that bad and rusted that fast - you aren't near the gulf are you??[p]I have my new stainless vent to install - did you use a high temp silicone behind it? I have had mine off before so I now what you have to do to get to that bolt.[p]Tim

• mollysharkmollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Haven't done the silicone yet. Will need to. I can tell it isn't a tight seal by any means. Either way, I can actually open it! I was rather disappointed in how fast it disintegrated. Nowhere near the gulf. In Ft Worth! I talked to the BGE person and she was like "well, if you keep it outdoors and it rains, it will rust." Where do they THINK I will keep it? In the closet? So I got a cover justincase, but I think that is absurd really. Shoulda come with a stainless vent cover to begin with or they should have traded them out if they disintegrated that quickly. Ah well. It's over and done.
  • Just finished the steak. Had a ribeye, strip, and a tenderoin. All prime. Did the ribeye with the garlic/peppercorn and the others with original. You know what? I like the mustard rub better. This was good, but it was too independent of the steak. Not saying that well. I could taste the steak and taste the crust, but they didn't meld as well as the mustard, kosher salt, ground pepper rub. But ah, still damn good. Overcooked them just a tad. I had cleaned it out so well when I installed the stainless vent that it got to near 1000 degrees with the lids off and it took me about a minute to get it down to where I could open the darn thing. Phew. Anyone up for inventing a remote control auto-open lid? Man...I'm parched!
  • CornfedCornfed Posts: 1,324
    MollyShark,[p]I likey good steaks. The best way I've found to have a tremendous steak is to buy a tremendously good cut o' cow! And as most everyone I've ever heard says, the better the meat, the less fussin' required.[p]That being said, my simple tastes have come to love a simple rub o' Montreal Steak seasoning. My great friend Smokin' Todd graciously bought me a large "BBQ lovers" size container a very long time ago and it's still going strong. Lotsa salt and pepper. Add to this about 2 Tbsp love and you're on the right track.[p]Soon you'll be saying, "Heee,"