Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

At what point should I PANIC!

Options
Sundown
Sundown Posts: 2,980
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Put ole' Mr BB in at Exactly 3PM
Temp looks like it's nailed on 200* plus a hair.
Mr. polder was checked with boiling water just two days ago and not used in the intrim.
Internal temp is already 113*!!
The meat, Mr. BB, is 9 - 9.5 lbs Almost square in shape.
Probe in a bone free spot (I think) felt around and didn't here any crunching noises.
He's resing in the rack comfortably
NOW WHAT?![p]Carey

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    Sundown,[p]Don't panic. Nothing unusual about a butt reaching that temp in its first 3 hours. It will continue to rise, and at some point (between 140 and 160 internal) the temp will stall out for several hours. This is good for our side. ;-}[p]Is 200 the dome temp? That's a little bit low, but you can always kick it up later if need be. Sounds like you're doing just fine. Have a beer, take it easy & daydream about the terrific meal you're going to have![p]Cathy

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    Sundown, make sure that your dome thermometer probe isn't stuck in the pork roast. Good luck!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sundown, It will soon hit idle time and seem to get stuck at 160 to 170 range..stay calm take Cats advice then drink another one...then stay calm again..After a couple hours it will start clicking away the numbers to 200F internal. Takes time. No worry, no hurry!
    C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    Sundown,[p]I am thinking your going to be eating around 9pm tomorrow if you continue at 200. Any fat dripping on the fire will put it out at that low temp. It takes a lot of practice and a lot of watching it to maintain 200 for 20+ hrs. I always go atleast 225. If your fire keeps going thru the night - you'll have it licked. Keeping the fire going is the hard part - and that ain't that hard.[p]Go get em!!![p]Tim
  • Mike Oelrich
    Mike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Options
    Sundown,[p] Sounds like you're doing OK. At this point, I'd follow TimM's suggestion and let the temp work its way up a bit. I'd tell you how mine are doing, but I normally don't even put the Polder probe in until at least half way through. My dome temp went up to 245 when the rain stopped a while ago and I throttled back a bit. Now I'm sitting at about 220. Hopefully it'll stay that way until the morning. I can crank up the heat bright and early if I need to. Last time, my dome temp went down to 150 at 4AM I still managed to get the thing done in under 24 hours. Eight hours down, sixteen to go . . .[p]MikeO
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Sundown,
    Why pray tell are you holding the dome temp at 200*? Kick it up to 250* and then go to bed and get a good night's rest. All will be fine tomorrow. Been doing these butts for over 50 years.