Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wilkes Meat in Lilburn-For Atlanta Locals

Options
Hungry in Lilburn
Hungry in Lilburn Posts: 756
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just wanted to let you local folks know that Wilkes Meat Market in Lilburn on Killian Hill is still open and has the best prices on the best meat still.
I visited there yesterday and bought over $200 worth of meat! I got a whole rib eye cut into steaks for $6.99 per lb. I got prime rib roast for the same price. There steaks are better than any I have found within 30 miles. We drove 45 minutes to get there. The steaks from Great Western in Loganville are tough and taste funny. I also bought pork butts for $1.99 lb which is higher than the first part of the year but worth it. Their pork butts taste better than the ones I bought from Krogers or Walmarts. I also got 5 lbs of bacon for some really cheap price, much less than the above mentioned stores.

I wish someone had told me about Wilkes when I first bought my BGE. I would not have wasted money buying from Krogers. I remember paying $18 per lb for rib eyes once. LOL!

Oh, they are taking orders for standing prime rib roasts, crowns and other high end cuts for Christmas.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas!

Comments

• Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    Whoops! Just found out that Tony sold me my butts at $1.69 per lb. So if you go make sure he sells them to you for that price as well. He has an email newsletter that has discounted prices, tell him you want the discount price. He will be happy to give it to you. Stock up now for Christmas. I am making one more round before the big day! Got to do a standing rib roast!
  • EgginDawg
    Options
    I go to the one in Cumming and it is awesome too. I will be getting my Christmas rib there as well.
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I heard there is another one closer to Atlanta as well. When I lived in MN we had butcher shops in every small town. I love good beef and pork. The stuff in mega marts just doesn't taste the same to me.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Wilkes shops are all over Atlanta. I go to the one in Sugar Hill on PIB. If you stop in talk to Ronnie. Nicest meat cutter in the area.

Another good shop is Patton's in Duluth.

But be careful in both of them, they carry CAB and try to make you believe it's USDA prime.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I used to live in Lilburn and frequented the Tucker location. Mr. Wilkes used to be behind the counter - quite a Southern gentleman. I assume he's no longer living. On one trip 15 years ago my wife and I had him serving us. As we departed the store she stated that she sure hoped he was making a living wage with his little store. Right behind us Mr. Wilkes walked out and got into a brand new Cadillac with all of the bells and whistles. I pointed at him, laughed and said that he was probably doing OK. :laugh: