Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen / others

redneck6497
redneck6497 Posts: 180
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi All,

I broke my taylor instant read (about 20.00) last night. I am fed up with it b/c its my second one. What should I get for a decent, fast instant read thermometer? I'm not opposed spending the money on the thermapen if its the best.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    It's the best.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • I finally bought a Thermapen for Thanksgiving, and now I'm kicking myself for not getting one sooner. Well worth the investment! I have about 4 other meat thermometers, and I tested them side by side with the Thermapen... no contest. The Thermapen was lightening fast and accurate.

The easy to read monitor, the quickness with which it takes the temperature, and the relative ease of use (no goofy wires going all around or guessing where the dial is) makes it hands down one of my best cooking investments.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Everyone around these parts seems to think the Thermapen the fastest and best. All I know is, mine is several seconds quicker than the Taylor I used to use. I've had the Taylor for years and never had a problem with it - still works. It was labeled as an instant read, but it's not (maybe 8-10 seconds instead of the 2-4 of the Thermapen). From all accounts I've read, Thermoworks' customer service is second to none.

If I had the money to spend again though, I'd probably just keep the Taylor and use the $100 on something else.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I've been grilling/smoking for years. New to Egging. Upon revies on this forum I bought a ThermaPen and love it.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Get the black Thermapen it is the fastest. ;)
  •  
    The Thermopen is a great solution and after getting it, I now feel it was money well spend. We use it all the time eggn, indoors, candy making, baking, grilling, q'n, smok'n.

GG
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    NOT!! My Orange Thermapen will out do your black one any day!!!! :angry: :laugh: :whistle:

ps redneck...the thermapen truly is the best, and their customer service can't be beat! :)
  • I told you green is the best!
  • I wish I had bought my thermapen the day I got my egg. I do not cook without it now. Contact forum member Mollyshark and she might be able to help you. Either way, whatever you pay is totally worth it.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    I paint mine every other week just because you guys say a certain color is faster.

So far by scientific results and a blind taste test, this funky color kinda like barf blue seems to be the better color. I'm gonna leave it that color. (until a new color comes out)
  • I appreciate all of the input. I decided to buy one from the company. They are running a special right now where you get a gift (you can choose from 3) worth around 15-20 bucks. I went for the leather pouch for it. I also purchased the silicone boot for it.
  • My thermapen arrived today....now I just need something to cook!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Spatchcock a 3 pound chicky high in the dome direct at 400F dome and pull it when the dark meat gets to 200F degrees. :P You might like it! ;)