Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2:30AM Forum Check

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ha! Thought that I may find Spring Chicken in these parts around this time, but looks like there are only about 15 users logged in, with a bunch (600+) of guests.

Anyway, I've got the GPS ready to go for the Christmas Party at the Coop on Saturday, and I'm getting ready to put some pork butts in (7.6 and 6 lbs) for dinner later this evening. Nothing special, just a regular setup of Butt Rub on the small roast, and Dizzy Dust on the bigger one.

I'll be using a combination of pecan and apple on this one. Gotta run down now to check the DigiQ...

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Options

LOL, I think Spring has Sprung, Mike, they rolled up the sidewalks around here a long time ago. Come on back in a little bit and the day shift will start making a few noises but on Sundays most of them sleep in late. ;)

The butts sound perfect, it's about time I did one.

Have a great time at the Coop, I bet it will be a ball.

Time for me to go find the sandman my self. :)

Blair

• Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Normal people are asleep at this time of the day...good thing I aint normal! Ha!
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Guess I'm not normal, too. I have a couple of turbo butts going. I put two 9 pounders on at 8 last night and I just got up to check on them...I'm glad I did!...they're reading 186. Everything checks out, dome 250, double-checked the butts with the Thermapen. I hate when this happens! Grr, now I have to stay awake. Anyone know any good/bad jokes? :(
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    Did you hear Hooters is starting a delivery service?? Its called Knockers...
  • hornhonk
    Options
    Well, I asked for it! :woohoo:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mike have you ever tried pecan shells. I see that Salt Lick uses wet pecan shells on its fires.
    PS: see you in Spring Saturday....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Haven't tried the shells, Mickey, but will definitely save some on the next haul to try it out. I just use the pecan chunks from HEB or Academy, and I don't soak them, either.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    No Mike, I was sawing some logs between 9:00 PM and 5:30 AM because I took a sleep-in-peace pill in an attempt to catch up on all the sleep I missed this past week. It worked.

It's nice to know that someone will step in from time to time to check the Forum and report their findings.

Dinner sounds good.

See you Saturday.

Spring "Peace In The Valley Of The Coop" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Not sure you would/should soak (that is just the way Salt Lick did it).
    I sent out a note some time ago and the only person that responded said they are strong.
    Still think I will try, but like you will do dry.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• hornhonk
    Options
    My butts came off, two nine pounders, after 9 hrs. Perfect! Melt in your mouth. :) :P