Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

smoked fish

edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would appreciate anyone's advise on smoking fish slowly. What is the lowest temperature I can maintain and still maintain a fire? My aim is to produce what I have heard referred to as "cold smoked" fish. It is coated with a dry rub of spices and smoked for a long time. Still looking for recipes and directions.[p]

Comments

• SpinSpin Posts: 1,375
    Ken,[p]A true cold smoke as you describe is done at temps in the 70-90F range. I have not attempted this cook, but have smoked pork bellies for bacon at temps in the 90-100F range. I use a very small fire and cold firebricks in the Egg. it works nicely.[p]If you try this, I'd appreciate your sharing. Thanks.[p]Spin

• Mike OelrichMike Oelrich Posts: 544
    Ken,[p] I tried some cold-smoked salmon last year. I've linked the thread below. Next time I need to dry the fish more after I smoke it. I'm also considering an experiment of lighting the fire in my small BGE and piping the smoke into the large. Should be able to keep the tempreature low that way. People have also suggested keeping the top closed and regulating with only the bottom vent (I did the opposite). What kind of texture are you looking for? Is the fish "cooked", i.e. flaky in what you're doing, or is it more gelatinous (orange-pinkish) looking?[p]MikeO[p]PS If you search the archives, there are a couple other threads about this, too . . .
    [ul][li]Cold-Smoked Salmon Thread[/ul]