Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chunks

FatMike
FatMike Posts: 464
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
after adding chunks of wood, do you all wait for the white smoke to clear before you put on your meat? I added some hickory chunks and immediately put on some chicken thighs and they were tainted with some bad smoke taste. Next time I did some I added a chunk and waited for the smoke to clear or turn blue and got little to no smoke flavor. I thought I had this down but now more confused than ever. Thanks all

Comments

• I have always had success by waiting till all the start up nasty stuff goes away before adding my chunks, chips. Then the wood smoke starts. Works for me. :):):)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Do wait until the billowy white smoke clears off. A lot of that is from the lump and can be very acrid.

The effect of smoke depends on time and temperature. A quick cook like chicken thighs, usually done at higher temperatures than most BBQ, will usually not have a lot of smoke flavor. You'll get more flavor if you do them at a lower dome temp until almost done. Then increase the heat for crispness. A whole bird, which takes longer, will also get more smoke.

Also, poultry seems to do better with somewhat softer fruitwoods rather than hickory.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I'd second this one...wait for the smoke to clear, but on a quick cook you will need to slow it done to get more smoke flavor...
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Thanks..I was cooking at a higher temp. Guess that was my duh moment. :blink: Gonna try lower dome temp and longer. Again thank you