Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st bone in turkey breast (pic heavy)

Options
MusicMan78
MusicMan78 Posts: 182
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Since I could not do a turkey for Thanksgiving (logistics of going to both mine and wife's parents in same day prohibited it) decided to try my first foray into the realm of turkey. I took an 8.5lb bone in turkey breast out of the package and left in the fridge yesterday to let it dry out.

First I deboned it (thirdeye style). Then rubbed with EVOO and rosemary garlic/greek seasoning.

DSC00378.jpg

Trussed it up and put it back in the fridge so the skin could dry a bit more.

DSC00380.jpg

Here it is pre-egg. Used the same seasonings as the inside but added a bit of paprika

DSC00385.jpg

The bones that I removed were placed in a pot with carrots, onions, celery, salt and pepper and allowed to simmer for a few hours.

DSC00381.jpg

Here it is in the drip pan

DSC00382.jpg

This is the whole setup: indirect, pan with stock and bones, 350 degree dome, pecan and cherry wood.

DSC00389.jpg

The finished drippings, had to add about 2 more cups of water during the cooking process to keep it from drying out. Shredded the meat from the bones and strained the broth and added both to the gravy.

DSC00394.jpg

Finished product, pulled at 160F and allowed to rest.

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00395.jpg

After slicing. The meat had a good flavor from the herbs/smoke and was still really juicy

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

On the plate with my favorite comfort foods; green bean casserole, mashed potatos with skins, stuffing and GRAVY!

DSC00399.jpg

The dogs were in top begging form... (as usual!)

DSC00393.jpg

Comments