Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Buckboard Bacon Question

EgglecticEgglectic Posts: 95
edited August 2011 in EggHead Forum

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,969
    I have done loins and boneless butts and prefer loins. Have never done a tenderloin, probably 'cause it is a smaller piece of meat.
  • 61chev61chev Posts: 539
    I have done both and prefer the loin it is easier to slice and makes a nice size slice to freeze as per the sirloin i don't think it would slice the best don't know
    I have done tenderloin, loin and boston butt. The loin and tenderloin is very lean and easily overheated to the point of being dry. Boston Butt, much like a good Canadian bacon, is my favorite.

Loin (out of tenderloin & loin, I like this the best.

Boston Butt, my favorite

If you will go to Thirdeyes site there is a great discussion over there.

Thirdeye - Buckboard Bacon

• EgglecticEgglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    I'm with you GG.BB is MY favorite!I let it go a few more days and it tastes just like good old Country Ham!The loins are OK but ya gotta be careful,it will dry out before you realize it!All it needs is heating through,and slice it AT LEAST 1/4 inch thick!I let loins go 10 days and BB at least 14 days.I use HM BBB Cure. ;)
  • Yup, exactly.

• thirdeyethirdeye Posts: 7,428

I'll be you a nickle they are referring to the sirloin (or rear) end of a pork loin. Since they are so long, different sections have different names. If in fact that is what the store is talking about....Here is what to expect from the cross section view after Buckboarding and smoking.

Happy Trails

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • EgglecticEgglectic Posts: 95
    edited August 2011