Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Axis venison ham tips

SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,820
edited 3:48PM in EggHead Forum
I am going to smoke the ham from an Axis Doe for my neighbor. Any tips on this particular cut? I found some general tips on venison- but would like to reach out and ask for any tips on this particular variety of animal and cut.

I am thinking that this is a relatively tender and lean cut of meat, so I need to treat it more like a prime rib than a pork butt. I am thinking cooking at 350 dome until it is about 125 internal.

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

P.S. I'm not sure ham is the right term for venison- but it is a cut from the femur area. I believe it is a bone in cut but I'll double check.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• I'm with RichardFL - not sure what an Axis Doe is, but here is what I plan to do with the dry-aged hindquarter (ham) from a yearly deer. (Adapted from "Rolling Egg"'s venison shoulder cook, posted last Feb.).

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=832412&catid=1

I will coat with olive oil, then rub (haven't made my choice yet, but possibly Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust). Grill, indirect over a drip pan at 275*. (He grilled for 2 hours, but had a 10# hindquarter - I will probably do much less time).

Then braise, covered in a DO with 1 cup Dale's seasoning, 1 cup beer, 1 cup Italian dressing, plus a sliced onion, a bag of small carrots and maybe some baby taters. (He used a roasting pan sealed with foil). Indirect at 300* until internal temp reads 145*.

I might substitute merlot for the beer and maybe add some garlic to the braise....

This will be my cook for tomorrow night, I hope.
  • PopsiclePopsicle Posts: 520
    SmokeyPitt, based on my experiences with Axis hams you are correct about it being lean but sorry to say, mine have not been very tender.
    I have always treated my Axis meat the same way I do venison hams so those recipes will work. The hind quarter is a very dry hunk and need a little help keeping it moist when cooked whole. I have covered it with thick sliced bacon, indirect raised grid to around 135, slice thin and served. Never really likes how these have turned out so quit trying. To be quiet honest with you I found that cutting them in steaks, pounding flat and chicken frying produced the best results. It also makes great Chile meat either cubed or very course ground. Has a slightly sweeter flavor then venison or beef, very similar to elk.
    Good luck with yours. Please let us know how it turns out.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,820
    Thank you all for the tips so far.

Richard/ME- I don't know anything about Axis other than what I googled, but it is a particular type of deer and it is said to yield some pretty tasty meat. This one previously resided on a big hunting ranch in FL.

Thank you very much for the recipes- they both sound great. Popsicle- I will keep in mind that it might not be very tender. Wrapping in bacon will help. Perhaps some kind of injection...

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.