Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Beef Tenderloin

Mike in MN
Mike in MN Posts: 546
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did a whole beef tenderloin last night for guests. Thanks to this forum, it turned out great! The 8 of us were real happy. As in "fat and happy!"[p]About 2 hours before the cook, I pulled the tenderloin from the cryovac, and just patted it dry. I let it warm to room temp, prior to seasoning.[p]Mr. egg was full of a mixture of fresh and (mostly) used lump... probabably about 4 different brands. (Wicked Good, B&B, Ozark Oak, and some Real Flavor) At sear time, I added just a pinch of smoking chips (Oak and hickory) because my wife hates smoke (bummer).[p]The tenderloin was coated with a homemade olive oil based salad dressing (kalamato olive oil, Nakano Rice vinegar, fresh parsley, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, fresh garlic, fresh shallots, honey, and a little fresh lemon juice). Then I seasoned with garlic pepper and Lawrey Salt. I didn't marinate it, I just seasoned it about 30 minutes prior to the cook. [p]I seared it first a couple of minutes per side on a hot, preheated egg, then closed down Mr. Egg. [p]When the temp got down (maybe to 425) I put the preheated platesetter and drip pan with beef broth, red wine, onions, garlic, and seasonings together for an indirect cook, added the probes, set up the remote, and went back to the party. [p]My final cook temp was at 350° for about another hour plus (I should have been paying more attention to details) We did eat later than expected, but that means we drank more of that Dos Equis that they brought along. I pulled at an internal of about 125°, and let it rest for about 15 minutes. The first "sampler" slice was for the friend who supplied the beast... and he was all smiles! [p]The drip pan juices were further cooked down a bit (on the stove, during the meat rest period). It made a nice sauce to add with the saute'd mushrooms, fresh steamed brocolli and baked potatoes. No dessert. Didn't need it![p]By the way, the ouside temp was about -7° last night. No wind, so it wasn't that bad out. (Ya, right, keep telling yourself that)[p]Mike in MN

Comments

• Tenderloin.jpg
    <p />Here's a picture of part of the results. Had too much going on to get more pictures, and they abused me for taking the few pictures that I did take .... they just don't understand. ;>[p]Mike in MN
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mike in MN,
    In a word....AWESOME..glad you had good results...LOL..Sally has learned to appreciate it when I "cook for the camera" she knows she`s gonna get something good to eat....Happy Holidays[p]Wess

• WessB,
    So, you have a group sitting around drinking beer, having fun. All night I'm taking abuse because I'm out on the deck bundled up for old man winter... Then I bring the prize in, and at slicing time, I get about halfways finished, and have to pull out the camera.... geez, they gave me grief. They were hungry, and I have the darn camera out.[p]The next bit of excitement was when that razor sharp Wusthoff slicer I was using somehow ended up off it's perch on the cutting board, and on the floor right next to my wife's foot.....Too many cooks! She just doesn't belong in the kitchen. LOL![p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN,[p]Mike,
    How long per lb.[p]Thanks, dave

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Mike in MN,
    As I was slicing the turkey for this years Thanksgiving, I set my Wusthof classic granton edge Santuko on the counter..for some odd reason it wanted to be on concrete ceramic tiled floor...I decided at around $85 it shouldn`t be hiiting the floor........so what did I do??????????? I catch it in midair......spent the next hour in the emergency room..LOL...4 stitches right across my index finger..I did manage to shovel down a quick plate of hot food left handed before we went tho...[p]Wess

• Jopa
    Jopa Posts: 155
    Mike in MN,
    Sure looks good,I shoot pictures of each Sundays meal, Steak 99% of the time along with the meals wine. Hey volume 1 of the year in Steak is almost complete! Also 2 of my friends bought eggs this year!Those emailed picts are real powerfull! Happy holidays.

• Tenderloin1.jpg
    <p />dave in nj,
    Sorry, can't say... The package was not marked... it was a "gift," so, they had removed the weight and price tag. [p]The package contained 2 "butts" as the butcher called them, rather than one complete, long tenderloin. The picture shows the "before" view to give you an idea of the size. This was the fatty side up, of which I did not trim at all. Total grilling time was about 1.5 hrs.[p]The recipe I used (for reference) said to cook in a preheated 425° oven for 15 minutes, and then turn down to 375° for 10 minutes per pound. At about 5-6 pounds, this would come pretty close, considering I cooked it at 350°. [p]BTW, no extra charge for that chunk of lettuce in the pan![p]Mike in MN

• WessB,
    I believe I have made that same maneuver....fortunately for me, I'm slow and a lousy catch. You just want to catch it before it hits the floor. Bad move. [p]Usually it's just a laughable "dance step" that a person has to do to miss stabbing that knife (in my case, the 12" chef's) into the top of your foot. Not a pretty sight. [p]Happy Holidays! Time to prep for party number 2 (of 3) this weekend.[p]Mike in MN

• Mike in MN, the temp reconfirms why I left the shores of Lake Winnebago in southeast wisconsin. As a sad reminder of north Texas, I just spent $15 a pound for Walleye, dang Canadian walleye at that, nothing like WI or MN walleye. Happy holidays,

• sandbagger,
    If you buy it around here, it's about $8 a pound. If you catch it yourself, maybe $100. LOL![p]It's warmed all the way up to 8°. It's also clouded over, so next it will probably dump one of those 1/4" nuisance snows on us, just to make a mess of things Xmas day. We have just a dusting on the ground now, so the snowmobilers and the plowing crews are chomping at the bit to try out their new equipment. I don't mind the big dumps, it's those little nuisance snows that are so aggravating...just as many accidents, snot slippery, and they get the clean cars dirty. Car Wash Mike likes 'em![p]Mike in MN