Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Skin on pork?

Options
jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, my quest to produce an English crackling roast is meeting some roadblocks. All the small processors around here skin rather than scald their hogs, so I'm having a hard time sourcing a shoulder with the skin intact.

Anyone know of a mail order source for skin on pork cuts?

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC05085H.jpg

DSC05069R.jpg

Can't you get a picnic end of the shoulder? Most of them have the skin on.

DSC05091H.jpg

DSC05112H.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i couldn't find one with the skin OFF if i tried.

they are all skin on here.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    If the processors I've talked to are indicative, everyone completely skins the animal. I haven't seen a picnic in a meat case around here in years.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    a local butcher can't get one on the hoof for you?

you could always go to a local livestock auction and pick up a pig or hog and butcher it yourself. It's a little work, but worth it in my book.

piggies.jpg

(I picked the one in the back with the black rump. He's in the pen at my father-in-law's place now getting fat and delicious)
  • jeffinsgf
    Options
    The thought has crossed my mind, but I filled my freezer with veggies this summer. If I do buy a whole or half hog, I'll still have to find someone to process it for me. The chances of me butchering it here and having my wife actually eat it are slim and none. And, Slim just left town.

Still lots of little processing plants around to call...