Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Speaking Of Beef Tenderloin.......

Options
JimboBQ
JimboBQ Posts: 197
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While shopping at our local Ingles today I noticed the meat department had cut up a tenderloin into "steaks" about 1.5 " thick each. Doe anyone see anything wrong with cooking them the T-Rex way? Or, should I do them indirect? I've never done tenderloin "steaks."[p]Thanks,[p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...

Comments

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Options
    JimboBQ,[p]When you cut up a beef tenderloin into steaks, you're making "filet mignon". These steaks should definitely be grilled direct, whether by the TRex method or regular old grilling methods. One and one-half inches may be pushing the lower limit for a TRex-able filet, but if you're an experienced TRex-er, you can probably make it work.[p]Bob
  • JimboBQ
    JimboBQ Posts: 197
    Options
    yaB,[p]I thought they were a bit thin for the pan too. I'll go direct and lessen the dwell time. Thanks Bob. Firing up the small now. Letting the large take a little break![p]Jimbo

Spartanburg, SC - 1 Large, 1 Small, 1 MiniMax and a Mini. I may have a problem...
  • JimboBQ,
    I will be cooking a 5 pound beef tender loin piece of meat Christmas Eve by indirect. Do you have a suggestion on long I should cook the meat and at what temp?[p]Thanks, [p]Carl -- cdpeterson@comcast.net

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    carl peterson,[p]Not trying to sound judgemental here, but why would you cook it indirect? [p]I made one sunday like this. I lava seared it T-Rex style about 2 minutes per side, then took it off for 20 minutes. Brought the egg down to 400 and cooked elevated direct to 135 internal. Removed and rested 10 minutes, at a perfectly done medium side of med. rare beef tenderloin. [p]If you like medium rare, pull at 125. [p]This method is tried and true by folks a lot smarter than me, I assure you. [p]Good luck either way, and let us know how it turns out.
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    beef%20tenderloin.jpg
    <p />Mark Backer,[p]I've always seared mine then indirect. Indirect takes a lot of operator error out of the equation. I.E. we get to busy with guests ect.
    Plus I just like looking at my egg cooking and checking on it.
    You always have an excuse to get away for a bit.[p]CWM

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I'm sure you're right mike. Like I said, I've only made one, and I was so worried about it that it was fine to do direct. But after a good sear, I'd love to try one indirect as well.[p]That thing looks AWESOME!!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I sure either way is great.[p]I'd like to know what you got Lauren (sp) for Christmas but since she has computer skills now, you probably shouldn't.[p]Great looking kid.[p]CWM
  • What is the TREX way of cooking tenderloin?
    I am cooking my first tenderloin X-mas eve on my new BGE (large)- I do not want to make any major mistakes[p]Thank you