Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT: Panettone

eenie meenieeenie meenie Posts: 4,392
edited 6:52AM in EggHead Forum
Baked this in the oven, wasn't brave enough to bake it on the egg.

Ingredients for 3 loaves (except for the butter, tons of butter):
Glaceed apricots, orange peel, and pineapple with dried bing cherries, Tunesian dates, and golden raisins, eggs, milk, honey, orange zest, vanilla, lemon oil, salt, and yeast. After I prepped for 3 loaves, I decided to make six loaves.

IMG_5549.jpg

Started with a biga until it tripled. Then made the first dough mainly with more flour and 17 egg yolks . Then made a second dough and added the the butter and fruit and let it almost triple in volume. Then I cut a cross and skinned back the dough so it would raise more in the oven.

IMG_5594.jpg

Each loaf was over 2 lbs. Baked for about 50 minutes.

IMG_5609.jpg

Hung them upside down with skewers outside.

IMG_5617.jpg

One of them fell from the chair and so I just had to eat a quarter of the loaf.

IMG_5633.jpg

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
·

Comments

• cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,406
    OH MY!!!!!
    I had this while in Rome quite a few times Rebecca.
    You took it on like a Queen dear!!!
    I might need the recipe...please :laugh: ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
    ·
  • Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,342
    Dang!
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    ·
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,587
    Fruitcake on CRACK??? :)
    ·
  • dhuffjrdhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Wow that looks awesome! I bought one of those last Christmas. The store bought version was quite a disappointment. I bet yours rocked.

Growing up my grandma always made fruitcakes. I always liked them as a kid. I saw an Alton Brown show on making fruitcake a few years back and keep telling myself I'm gonna make some.
    ·
  •  
    WOW! Those are works of art Rebecca!

I'm not so sure I would have stopped at a quarter of a loaf! love0029.gif

Blair

·
  • wow amazing never had it and since i am not good i guess i never will ..
    looks to me like the Italian equivelent of a stollen ,,
    as darth would say
    Impressive!
    ·
  • PattyOPattyO Posts: 882
    Don't keep that a secret. Tell the YOU candied the fruit. Am I right?
    ·
  • WOW ! You're getting WAY outa my league ! :ohmy:
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    Is this you Rebecca ?????? Lol . mmmmmmmmmm
    ·
  • Christmas gifts for Egg Friends ??? :woohoo:
    fruit looks too yummy to pass up on it's own :ohmy:

loved the other pics!!
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    Goodness Gracious Rebecca!!! :woohoo: :ohmy: Those look amazing! One thing though, you always under-achieve, and do everything "small". You know...like the time you cooked a mere 15 SLABS of ribs at once!!! :laugh: :woohoo: :whistle: Awesome looking loaves!
    ·
  • LC,
    she can probably multitask squared!!
    What a WOMAN :woohoo:
    ·
  • Little ChefLittle Chef Posts: 4,725
    :laugh: Multitask squared... :laugh: Too funny! :laugh: Be well DOW, and Happy Holidays to you and yours.
    ·
  • Big'unBig'un Posts: 5,909
    Wow Becks, those are beautiful! You surely are one creative gal!
    ·
  • toast a little with lots of butter! muy delicioso! with espresso coffee :P :woohoo:
    ·
  • EGGARYEGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Rebecca,

I am totally impressed that you took the time and effort to make Panettone. I am so used to seeing it in the box with the wrapping. Is this the recipe that came from the place in San Francisco ?

Panettone makes wonderful bread pudding.

You are a Master Baker.

Good job. I bet they taste better than the ones in the store as well.

Gary Captol
    Canoga Park, Ca.
    ·
  • WoodbutcherWoodbutcher Posts: 1,004
    They look delicious! Someone will be eating good.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,281
    wishing i had that right now with my coffee :)
    ·
  • Makes AMAZING bread pudding. Why do they need to be hung upside down after coming out of the oven?
    ·
  • It is said to collapse some if you don't hang it upside down to cool. I don't know if this is just an Italian old wives tale, or is really true.

It is a very, heavy dough because of all the butter, egg yolks, and fruit so I tend believe that it could collapse when hot and upright.

I would use bakery or store bought panettone for bread pudding. You're right, panettone does make for amazing bread pudding (or french toast)! This homemade stuff is too good to adulterate for bread pudding, I like it slightly toasted with butter or mascarpone or a light dusting on confectioner sugar.
    ·