Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever use...

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Natural lump charcoal from GFS?

We saw some the other day while out shopping. It was $12.99 for a 20# bag, which is very reasonable in these parts. Plus they had plenty in stock to get us through the winter.

But, if it's not half decent stuff, I'll take a pass and stick with my RO.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Mike in Abita
    Options
    I have and while the bags I got were okay, I'd stick with Royal Oak if you can find it. My Wal-Mart has Royal Oak all year so I'm going going with that.
  • stevesails
    Options
    I have been using it. But i am going to try to see what else ia available. i cannot seem to get rid of the VOc smell in the food. There sems to be a lot of non-carbonized pieces in the bag and I think that is what is causing the problem. Cooked a Pie today after letting smoke clear and burn for nearly 90 minutes.

In michigan we dont get lump at walmart all the time nor all year.

I am going to try out some wicked good soon and se if there is any cowboy left at Lowes and Home depot.

I did see one bag of lump left at kroger the other day. should have bought it.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Knauf
    Knauf Posts: 337
    Options
    I've tried it and good success. Seemed very similar to Royal Oak.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    stevesails: Not trying to hijack the original thread, but you mentioned Home Depot. Down here HD sells True Que lump. If they sell True Que lump brand up there, Run, don't walk, away. Horrible stuff that smells of ammonia, and also very expensive. JMO.
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    I've used it. It like many store brands is Royal Oak as I understand it. GFS carries made in USA and other sources Uruguay and Argentina are two countries of origin I recall. Those South American woods are pretty sparky.

I'm never understood how Wicked Good is a south American hard wood product and is great and RO/GFS lump that comes from South American countries is bad.