Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Smoked Turkey Gumbo (picture heavy)

Grub BloggerGrub Blogger Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think I have a new tradition. Smoked turkey stock the day after TG; Smoked Turkey Gumbo the Saturday after TG.

I have an extensive post on gumbo here: http://www.grubblogger.com/2009/09/09/gumbo/ so I won't get too far into it. A couple of things I would change in that (old) post are: 1) add just the onions to the roux for a few minutes - the onions will caramelize a bit and further darken the roux and 2) always use homemade stock and let it come to room temp before adding (slooooowly) to the roux.

To make the stock I sliced off the remaining meat and reserved to toss into the gumbo pot, taking off the skin and throwing into a stock pot with the bones. Threw in a couple of bay leaves, half a head of garlic, fresh herbs from the garden and about 15 whole peppercorns. While that came up to a boil, I roasted carrots, onions and celery at 400* in the oven for about an hour until browned. Then pitched that in the pot and simmered for about 4 hours. Strained and refrigerated over night, skimmed the fat, and ready to go with the gumbo recipe. Really killer stuff.
+

TG%20077.JPG
++
TG%20078.JPG
++
TG%20081.JPG
++
TG%20082.JPG
++
TG%20083.JPG
++
TG%20085.JPG