Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sydney's meatloaf ROCKED!!

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
While we still need to make a few minor adjustments for moisture's sake, the meatloaf was awesome. I can't wait to have it again. Heck, I hope she tweaks it and we have it again tonight.[p]Hint hint...nudge nudge.[p]Thanks again sydney and Max.

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    that's great. ..i'll let her know when she gets home from school . .gee, i hope she's at school... .dang, she better be at school!Q! . .. btw, make extra, its great for samiches the next day, or later that night. . .[p]as far as the moisture thing. .. did you use 80/20 ground beef or the 90+ stuff. ..it does make a difference. . ..syd uses the 80/20 for the additional fat contact. ..

• Eggsellent
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I used 80/20. Here's what I did differently (including my mother's secret ingredient for meatloaf - use it wisely)...[p]1lb. 80/20 ground beef
    1 egg
    1/2 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix (instead of chopped onion)
    not even 1/8 cup bread crumbs
    1/2 envelope of powdered Au Jus Mix (this is the secret ingredient).[p]combined first 4 ingredients and shaped into a loaf. Then sprinkled the Au Jus powder on all sides. I know it sounds weird - but trust me it's wonderful!!! Any time I make meatloaf using the Au Jus powder people rave about it. You have to try it one time - you'll never go without it again.[p]Anyway, since I used so much powder stuff, I should have added a little milk or water for moistness. I just wasn't sure how much liquid I could use and still be able to put the meat right on the grid (rather than making it in a loaf pan). It wasn't bone dry by any means - just needed a touch of something (maybe 1/4 cup liquid). Other than that - it had a GREAT flavor!!!!

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    that sounds great (the au jus mix). ..how about, rather than water or milk, a little ketchup or bbq sauce. . .that should moisten up a little and add some flavor...

• Eggsellent
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Hmmmm Ketchup or BBQ sounds really good. It would add a little "sweet" to the "salty". Thanks - we'll try it.

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Eggsellent,
    Try cutting in some pork fat or maybe even going to a 75/25 or 70/30 blend.[p]Fat will moisten up groiund meat more than anything else, but of course BB-Q sauce is awesome in meatloaf, so try that first to spare your arteries as long as possible.[p]:)