Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

speaking of which...

Options
Mark Backer
Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for a nice recipe for my little lamb chops. There are 12 of them and they total two pounds. They are about an inch or so thick.[p]Talk amongst yourselves....

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I do the frenched rack of lamb using Nature Boys recipe...It is great and should work on your lamb chops.
    Larry

[ul][li]NB's Frenched Rack of Lamb[/ul]
  • Mark Backer
    Options
    YB,[p]Thanks YB. That sounds right in my wheelhouse. Plus, if I sear that on the small, then reload, I can sear the ribeyes, rest and then both the large and small will be dwelling at the same time. [p]HOORAY for multiple eggs!![p]
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    I have more than one egg cooking alot...You will like NB's lamb recipe.
    Larry

[ul][li]Cooking on Three Eggs[/ul]
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    i keep it simple, salt pepper chopped rosemary oil. smoosh it down with the back side of a spoon. trex with a roast of 325-350.ive never done the rack of lamb, but that picture is got me hungry.i bought the egg for low asnd slows, but find that i sear lamb more than anything.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • egghead2004
    Options
    Mark Backer,
    Interested in a lamb chop over pasta dish? There is not a lot of egging involved unless you want to bring your skillet outside to the egg. Anyway the chops are cooked in a sauce created by oinions, black olives, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, dry red wine, and balsamic vinegar. They are served over pasta with olive oil, garlic, and crushed red pepper. [p]If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the ingredients and post them. Let me tell you this is one of the best lamb dishes I have ever had.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]I'm DEFINITELY interested...! Please post the recipe.[p]Thanks,
    Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I do a pistachio crusted rack of lamb that's awesome. In fact, I'm doing it for our Christmas Party tomorrow night, except I plan to use a boneless leg this time as an experiment.[p]Here's how we're serving it...[p]Appetizers
    Tomato, Mozzarella, and Basil Bruschetta
    Olive & Sundried Tomato Tapenade with Endive
    Creamy Crab and Artichoke Dip
    French Baguette slices[p]Dinner
    Pistachio Crusted Leg of Lamb
    Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
    Peasant Sauce
    Sesame Asparagus
    Parsnip and Portabella Mushroom Cassarole
    Greek Salad with Oregano Vinegarette[p]Dessert
    Cheesecake-To-Die-For[p]Tonia

• Mark Backer
    Options
    QBabe,[p]If you're experimenting by using the boneless leg, be careful. It cooks a lot faster than the bone in ones. We nearly had a ruined one a couple of weeks ago...
  • QBabe
    Options
    Mark Backer,[p]I've actually done quite a few of the boneless ones before, so I think I'm ok there. [p]The experimentation part is using the recipe for the crusting differently than the original recipe called for. I'm also still debating adding some dried fruit or maybe cranberries to the center before I roll and tie the roast. Haven't quite decided what the plan will be, but hopefully it will turn out well.[p]Tonia

• egghead2004
    Options
    QBabe,
    here you are. For thicker chops just add more cook time prior to adding the wine and vinegar, but I don't reccomend chops that much over 1 inch.
    Also, the pasta can be a little spicy with that much pepper in it, I cut that in 1/2 sometimes so it does not over power the lamb and sauce.[p]4 shoulder lamb chops or 8-10 loin chops about 3/4-inch thick each
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/2 cup finely sliced yellow onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 dozen black olives, pitted
    1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
    4 sprigs thyme
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
    1/4 cup aged balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup dry red wine
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes [p]
    flour mix;
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon of paprika
    1 teaspoon of garlic powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder[p]Season the chops lightly on both sides with salt and pepper.
    Combine the flour mix ingredients in a shallow bowl.
    Add the chops to the flour and turn to coat evenly,
    shaking to remove any excess. [p]In a large, deep skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
    Add the lamb and cook for 4 minutes.
    Turn the chops, and add the onions, garlic, olives, zest,
    and 4 sprigs of the thyme. Cook, stirring, until the onions
    are wilted, 3 minutes. Add rosemary and cook for 1 minute.
    Increase the heat, add the balsamic vinegar and wine,
    and stir to deglaze the pan. Turn the chops and cook for 1 additional
    minute for medium-rare. Remove chops from skillet and rest for 5 minutes.[p]Pasta / garlic pepper oil[p]1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 pound pasta[p]Cook pasta in boiling, salted water.
    Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes
    and cook until garlic is lightly browned. Drain pasta and place in a bowl.
    Add olive oil mixture and toss. [p]
    Serve pasta on plates, top with lamb chop and sauce.

• fishlessman
    Options
    egghead2004,
    before the egg, it would probably have cost me 80-100 dollars to make that recipe. i would have had to buy every ingrediant on the list.looking thru the list, i dont have any black olives, could probably substitute some catamara though.i find it amazing how much things have changed since buying the egg and reading this forum.

fukahwee maine

• egghead2004
    Options
    fishlessman,
    catamara? not sure what that is and when I look it up online everything points to catamaran.
    I agree, my supply of spices and things like that have increased quite a bit since I bought my egg.

• fishlessman
    Options
    egghead2004,
    i think there kalamata olives. definate brain fading

fukahwee maine

• clausenk
    Options
    QBabe,[p]What's peasant sauce?[p]Thanks[p]Clausen
  • QBabe
    Options
    egghead2004,[p]Thanks! [p]Tonia

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    QBabe,
    have you posted that recipe before? sounds wonderful. btw, what time should I be there tomorrow? it's only a short drive from Ocala ;-)
    just kiddin. Menu sounds divine
    Penfresh

• QBabe
    Options
    clausenk,[p]It's made with kalamata olives, green olives, tomatoes, green onions, basil, parsley, thyme, and veal stock (I use a demi-glace) and then served with the lamb.[p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    penfresh,[p]Yep, I posted it quite awhile back, but will try and put it together again (but not today - 1000 things to get done before the party and starting to panic).[p]Let me know when you'll be up this way again and maybe we can finally get together for a cup of coffee (or something). [p]Sometime you should do one of the tastings at Dorn's. I participated in my first one a few weeks ago and it was lots of fun and I got some great ideas for wines. They'll be having another one after the holidays.[p]Happy Holidays to you!
    Tonia

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    QBabe,[p]thanks Toyna-I'll take you up on that offer. I was at Dorn's last week...just had to try one of the Aussie wines with the screw off lid-actually was very good and not a bad price, around $9. Have a wonderful party and safe holidays. Enjoy Savannah![p]Penny