Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost a Mad Max Turkey Disaster

Options
Bulldog Mom
Bulldog Mom Posts: 242
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We were fully prepared to make our 3rd Mad Max Turkey for our family. Woke up at 5 a.m. to start the Egg - in the pouring rain. But we had our patio umbrella in place and the looftlighter and thought we were invincible.

We really didn't have the natural light available when we started the egg to know whether the air holes were "clean." After 1.5 hours of waiting for the temps to rise above 225, my husband "eggcidentally" pulled out the low grate out of position trying to clear the airholes with the firepit poker. Needless to say, he felt like an egghole. And, I was pretty upset.

BUT, we had to change direction and cook the bird in the convection oven. AND because we were so tired and PO'ed with each other, we ended up putting the bird in the oven breast down. Once we realized the error of our ways, we righted the bird, rubbed some more butter on the chest, sprinkled some dried herbs on plain white chest region and hoped for the best.

Turkey turned out just as good as if we had egged it, despite our stupidity. I guess this whole story is for those folks who think the Mad Max scenario applies exclusively to Egged turkeys. It doesn't. It can be made in the oven too, in worst case scenarios. And the bird and gravy turn out just as good.

Thanks Max for sharing a fool-proof way to cook turkey. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    everything in your second paragraph should have been done before adding lump the day before...at least it seems like you learned a lesson that only experience can teach...welcome to the club..