Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas crown roast of pork with stuffing

Options
Saucy Sue
Saucy Sue Posts: 79
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love my bge soooo much I want to do a formal Christmas dinner on it. Crown roast of pork sound so interesting,and I would like to do it on my egg. Need some fantastic recipes from all you pros out there. Merry Christmas to you all!!!

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Saucy Sue, Larry Ward (YB) did a gorgeous crown roast at Eggtoberfest. Maybe he'll share his secret with all of us. JCA

• Saucy Sue,[p]Here's a recipe for a glaze with a Southwest twist.
    http://www.sonorangrill.com/recipes/display.asp?rec=229[p]Lots of folks put some kind of stuffing into the roast
    such as sausage or corn bread. We've done it with
    both but prefer the corn bread - just our tastes.
    We've used the above glaze and like it.[p]I would do the roast indirect at a temp. of 325
    to 350 deg. [p]Enjoy,[p]K_sqrd

[ul][li]Glaze[/ul]
  • Saucy Sue
    Options
    J Appledog, That's just the kind of support I love about our forum!! The recipe for the Crown Roast Glaze that I just recieved looks wonderful as well!!

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Saucy Sue,[p]A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin.My meat cutter at Winn-Dixie takes a 8 or 9 pound loin,cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in a circle and ties it with butchers twine.I stuff it and paint it with yellow mustard and sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper.[p][p]Stuffing
    1 lb sausage with sage 1/2 apple, peeled & chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    1/4 small container mushrooms, chopped
    1/4 tsp Tarragon
    1/4 tsp Sage
    2 Tbsp olive oil[p]Saute above ingredients until sausage is brown & onions are transparent and stuff crown roast.[p]Cooking[p]I place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350 degrees until internal temp reaches 150 degrees.Make sure the thermometer is in the thickest part of the meat. I take it off cover in foil let it rest for 15 minutes and cut and serve.Hope this helps.
    Larry[p]

[ul][li]Crown Roast[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    larry, if that's the same one you did in atlanta, dang, that's a KEEPER. .. . i have to do one one of these days. . .
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thats not the one from this year but both had the same stuffing and were cooked the same way.Hope all you guys are doing good up your way.We are going to try and make it up to Waldorf this year.
    Larry

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Saucy Sue,
    I have smoked many. We have tried most of the stuffings for the center fill. We have settled on hot/spicy Italian sausage as our favoite.[p]I set it on a perforated topper & insert the thermometer. It usually is 36 out of the frig. I cook everything @ 250. It takes about 4 to 6 hours to reach 160.[p]I wrap it in film 905 & place it in a styrofoam container for about 1 hour. [p]This year it weighed 10 pounds & was 22 bones. I spritz everything with a pint spray bottle of olive oil & one of apple juice.[p]It is the best product I cook.[p]Everybody gets a rib with a portion of Italian sausage.[p]A local meat market prepares it for us.