Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chocolate Pecan Pie

Di
Di Posts: 395
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Seem to recall Hoss posting that he baked a chocolate pecan pie, maybe with bourbon. Does anyone have the recipe? I can't find the link. Thanks!

Comments

• Even if you can't find that exact recipe, it's a classic southern pie, sometimes called Derby Pie.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    does this help? I like to make a kahlua pecan for the holidays.

Pie, Chocolate Bourbon Pecan

INGREDIENTS:
    Crust
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tbs sugar
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
    1 large egg, separated
    3 Tbs ice water
    Filling
    6 Tbs unsalted butter
    3/4 cup, packed brown sugar
    3/4 cup dark corn syrup
    2 Tbs bourbon
    1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
    1/4 tsp salt
    6 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
    4 large eggs, lightly beaten
    2 cups pecan halves

Procedure:
    To make the crust:
    1 Sift the flour, sugar, and salt together into a medium mixing bowl.
    2 Add the butter and the egg yolk. Using a manual pastry blender or working the mixture between your thumb and fingers, combine the ingredients, leaving a few rice-size lumps of butter throughout the dough.
    3 Add the ice water, stir with a fork just enough to combine, and shape the dough into a ball. Flatten into a disc, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for least 1 hour.
    4 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Gently beat the egg white and set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 12-inch circle and fit it into a 10-inch pie pan. Crimp the edges and prick the bottom and sides in several places with a fork.
    5 Line the pie shell with parchment paper or aluminum foil, pressing it against the sides of the pie shell and allowing some of the paper to extend beyond the pan. Fill the pan with pie weights or uncooked dried beans. Bake 10 minutes.
    6 Carefully remove the paper and the pie weights. Brush the bottom and sides of the crust lightly with some of the beaten egg white and return the crust to the oven. Bake until the crust is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and set aside to cool.
    To make the filling:
    1 Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a 3- or 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, brown sugar, and corn syrup. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted.
    2 Remove from the heat and add the bourbon, vanilla bean scrapings, and salt. Stir to combine.
    3 Add the chocolate and stir until it is melted and combined.
    4 Add the eggs and gently mix to combine, trying not to incorporate any air. Stir gently until the mixture cools.
    To bake the pie:
    1 Arrange the pecans in a circular pattern on the bottom of the cooled, pre-baked pie shell. Carefully pour the filling over the pecans. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated 425-degree oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and bake until the filling is set, 25 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.

Yield: 6 to 8

Recipe Type
    Dessert

Recipe Source
    Source: PBS, Chef Class 110, 2008/08/23
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    dagnabit! One more for "The List"! :sick: :woohoo:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    I got 9 outta 10.The first one stumped me.Never heard of Benewaffers? :huh:
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    You will love benne wafers. They are great with blue cheese dressing and LONEY. I don't make them anymore.
    Just order them. The key lime cookies are to die for. LOL

http://www.oldecolonybakery.com/

Appetizer, Crackers, Benne Wafers, Gene Cate

INGREDIENTS:
    1- 1/2 sticks softened butter
    1- 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1/4 tsp baking powder
    1- 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    3 oz toasted sesame seeds

Procedure:
    1 “Open sesame!” I’ll bet you didn’t know that the famous phrase from Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves that quickly opened the door to the treasure was probably based on the fact that the sesame seed pod bursts open quickly. When the pods become ripe, they pop open and scatter the seeds.
    2 The sesame seed dates back hundreds of years B.C. and has been a staple in middle and far Eastern cuisine for centuries. We are probably most familiar with the seed as a bread topping or, more recently, as the crust on tuna which appears on nearly every restaurant menu. You may also be familiar with tahini---the paste made with ground seed and oil--the key ingredient, along with chickpeas, in hummus.
    3 Although the seeds are highly nutritious, you’d be hard pressed to eat enough to be of any benefit so we’ll just approach them from a standpoint of their flavor value.
    4 Aside from the seed itself, the oil from both raw and toasted seeds is of high quality and can be used for cooking, however, I prefer the Chinese toasted sesame oil used as a condiment on stir frys or steamed vegetables. Toasted seeds may be used as well. I throw some in the wok to toast while the other ingredients are cooking.
    5 My favorite use of sesame seed is in benne wafers. Benne is the West African term for sesame and a term that is still used in the lowcountry of South Carolina. Sesame seeds were introduced to this continent by slaves and, like other foods they brought, were soon incorporated into the cuisine of the south. Like Hoppin’ John and collards, benne seed are believed to bring good luck so I make a batch of wafers for the New Year’s Day buffet as well as throughout the year.
    6 For today’s recipe, you’ll want to toast the seed as follows: Spread a thin layer of seed in a skillet and toast over medium high heat until golden. Stir or shake often to avoid burning.
    7 The proper size for a wafer is just slightly larger than a quarter so this makes about 250 cookies. I use my Hamilton Beach cookie shooter with the star nozzle to control the size of the dough; making each dropping about the size of a marble.
    8 Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream the sugar and butter and add other ingredients in order, incorporating thoroughly. Drop on parchment paper in cookie pan with enough room to allow spreading. (Note: I use parchment paper as this allows me to bake about 50 at a time and have a batch ready to place in the pan when the previous one is done.) Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges brown. Slide the parchment onto the counter and replace with the next batch. Wafers keep well in plastic containers.

Recipe Type
    Appetizer

Recipe Source
    Source: Gene Cate, 2008/06/16
  • Di
    Di Posts: 395
    Thanks so much!!!!! Making that one for Thursday.
  • Scored 7 out of ten. Not bad for one of the furthest North eggheads.

Doug
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Holy moly...that sounds divine...may have to give that thing a try in the future..
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Wess,it is MITEE TASTEE! :)