Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pulled Pork Meat

Bubba's dadBubba's dad Posts: 97
edited 12:29AM in EggHead Forum
I made pulled pork on the egg today. Cooked it at about 250 for approx 2 hours a pound. I pulled it off the egg when the thickest part of the meat was 200 degrees per the thermapen. I know some of the outside edge pieces had reached 200 an hour or so before that. I noticed that some of the meat pulled great but others of it were very tough and had to be chopped. I wonder if it is tough because I overcooked it.

Any help would be great - I almost have this dialed in!!!!!!!

Comments

• Bubba's dad,

It would only be tough if undercooked or extremely overcooked. You need to take the temp in several places. I don't even worry about the temp anymore, just go til the blade bone pulls with no resistance.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,088
    Temp is nice, but when you stick the probe in, you should feel virtually no resistance. If you insert the probe in multiple spots and feel resistance in some of them, those parts won't pull well.

I cooked a butt once that was so unevenly done, I pulled half of it and ate dinner, leaving the other half on the egg til it was ready. :)

4154624080_c9989ec0a6_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut