Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Butt help !

EATEAT Posts: 34
edited 3:08PM in EggHead Forum
Hi,
Im smoking my first pork butt !,
Its 9 lbs, bone in, nice piece.
Plate Setter, drip pan with beer, and a super rub.
Its been already over 20hrs, at 200-220 grill temp, meat temp has reached 193 and flat for about an hour now.
-Should I rise the grill temp to try to reach the 200 in the meat ?
-Or 193 its ok by now ? Should I take it out ?

Thanks for your help !!
·

Comments

• BigABigA Posts: 1,157
    wiggle the bone and if it moves freely take it out and wrap it in foil and a towel and place in a cooler for an hr up to 5, but i have pulled ones at 190 all the way to 205 depending on that bone.
    ·
  • Dude,

Think about it. If you're at 200, assuming your thermo is correct (which is a huge assumption even if you calibrated it) you aren't going to get the meat up for hours. Open the vents and get it to 350 until the bone gives easily, take it off and rest it and eat. Next time go to 250* for the whole cook.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    would take awhile at a 200 grid temp to get the meat at 200 :)
    ·
  • Sorta what I meant. Lot harder to get to 205 ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • 2Fategghead2Fategghead Posts: 9,623
    EAT, Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great information here. I visit the forum every day and continue to learn something so by all means keep coming back. Tim ;)
    ·
    lol :laugh:
    ·
  • You would be on to something big if you could do it :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,538
    I would just go ahead and take it off and pull it if you are ready to eat. Bone test is a good idea. I'm betting you could grab the bone with tongs right now and it will pull right out.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • EATEAT Posts: 34
    Thanks everybody,
    Yes, I moved the bone and almost pull it out.
    Im about to move it to the foil and towel process.
    Its about 2 and half hours for some friends to arrive, so it should be tight on time.

Any suggestion on a good sauce to serve it with ?
    I have some basic bbq, but wanted a kick...

thanks !!
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,538
    I prefer a thinner vinegar based sauce- and I too like a little kick. I have used a basic sauce and mixed it with cider vinegar, cayenne pepper, chili powder and it was pretty good.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    hmmmm! I am usually up for a challange but that one might be out of my control.. :laugh:
    ·