Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Started the Christmas Roast Tonight...

stike
stike Posts: 15,597
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
sorta. started dry-aging it, anyway
Went to the grocery store with my wife today.

she says i cannot ever go again.
fdc02768.jpg

in the back is a 22-pound bone-in (seven ribs) prime rib roast, dry aging for christmas. gonna give it 35 days. i'll chunk off a roast for us, and package the rest as steaks

in front of that is a 9-1/2 pound pork loin. i have a one pound chunk leftover in the upstairs fridge. those will start curing in brine for back bacon ("Canadian bacon"). little known fact, they call it "canadian" because it is small, dense, heavy for its size, soaked in alcohol, and salty :whistle:

on the bottom, three trays of fresh belly, soon to become 1. sweet maple bacon (maple smoke), 2. savory bacon (apple smoke), and 3. black pepper bacon (hickory and/or oak). those will start curing this weekend. the trays are 11, 13, and 14 pounds each. my butcher was thrilled. was about 300 bucks, including a blade roast, a turkey, and some ground pork butt and fat for 'corton' (pork stuffing).
ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante

Comments